Help students learn and practice paragraph writing with these lesson handouts and practice worksheets! 7 Printable PDF pages, 7 Google Slides, plus Answer Key. Designed for grades 5-12.
- handout on the structure of a paragraph, and where and how supporting details fit within a paragraph; also includes a brief introduction to how to organize supporting details (chronological, description, process, etc.)
- handout with graphic organizer how to create supporting details from a topic sentence
- worksheet on identifying unnecessary details in a paragraph; students are given paragraphs, then are tasked with identifying the unnecessary details, and explain why these details are not needed or don't fit
- multiple choice activity on choosing the supporting idea that does NOT support a topic sentence
- graphic organizer work on creating supporting ideas: students are given a topic sentence, then are tasked with creating supporting ideas to support the topic sentence and controlling idea
- Answer Keys included