Where the Red Fern Grows 155-page Common Core Aligned Literature Guide includes student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA, grades 5-6.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Sara E. said: I was looking for a challenging packet for my 6th grade class, and this has worked perfectly! You have done an excellent job of integrating the standards into this packet!
This CCSS-Aligned Where the Red Fern Grows Literature Guide includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities to activate prior knowledge and introduce themes of the novel (numerous and varied CCSS addressed)
- Informational Focus article and corresponding Comprehension Check questions on Coonhounds (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.4; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.3, RI.6.4)
- Informational Focus article and corresponding Comprehension Check questions on Grief and Loss (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.4; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.3, RI.6.4)
- Author Biography on Wilson Rawls with corresponding Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.4; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.3, RI.6.4)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide Response for personal reflection about the themes of the novel before reading
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Defined list of Allusions, Slang, and Terminology found throughout the novel (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Chart for each section (RL.5.2; RL.6.2)
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions for each set of chapters (numerous and varied CCSS addressed)
CCSS Reading: Literature lessons and activities on
- Literary Terms and Plot Devices (RL.5.5; RL.6.5)
- Theme (RL.5.2; RL.6.2)
- Figurative Language (RL.5.4, RL.6.4)
- Textual Evidence (RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3; RL.6.1, RL.6.2, RL.6.3)
- Plot (RL.5.5; RL.6.5)
- Mood and Tone (RL.5.4, RL.5.6; RL.6.4, RL.6.6)
- Character Traits (RL.5.2; RL.6.3)
- Analyzing Plot Structure (RL.5.5; RL.6.5)
- Theme (RL.5.2, RL.6.3)
Cindi N. said: I love how much there is for the students to use in this! Very thorough and creative!
CCSS: Language lessons and activities on
- Pronouns (L.6.1.A, L.6.1.B, L.6.1.C, L.6.1.D)
- Figurative Language (L.5.5.A, L.6.5.A)
- Nonrestrictive Clauses (L.6.2)
- Pronoun/Antecedent Agreement (L.6.1.C, L.6.1.D)
- CCSS: Speaking and Listening Activity on Oral Presentations (SL.5.4, SL.5.5; SL.6.4, SL.6.5)
- Reading Quizzes every two or three chapters
- Vocabulary Quizzes every two or three chapters
- Two Final Test options for differentiation
- Final Test #1: 30 questions at mid- and high-level questioning, mid- and high-level rigor
- Final Test #2: 25 questions, completely Multiple Choice at low-level of questioning and low-level rigor
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas for use as alternative or additional assessment
- Essay and Writing Prompts for use as alternate or additional assessment
- Teacher Guide, including a Sample Agenda
- Summary of the Novel
- Rubrics for assessing Informative/Explanatory Writing, Argumentative Writing and Narrative Writing
- Two Project Rubrics for Pre- and Post- Reading project assessment
- General Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
Debbie S. said: Thanks! I got a lot of use out of this resource. It saved me lots of time and I liked the comprehension questions.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.