The more students are able to identify sentence parts, and what constitutes great writing, the better their own writing will be! In these lessons, students learn how modifiers, appositives, and gerunds can create variety and interest in writing. Designed for grades 5-12. 11 printable PDF pages, 11 Google Slides, plus Answer Key.
- lesson handout on identifying and using appositives (restatement of the noun or pronoun)
- practice worksheet identifying appositives in sentences; includes Answer Key
- lesson handout on identifying and using gerunds
- practice worksheet identifying gerunds within a sentence (and verb agreement); includes Answer Key
- lesson handout on using modifiers in writing (what to look for in misplacement)
- practice worksheet recognizing clear and unclear use of modifiers, correcting and rewriting for clarity; includes Answer Key
- lesson handout on punctuating sentences with modifiers
- practice worksheet identifying essential and non-essential clauses, and correcting punctuation to fit; includes Answer Key
Includes both PRINTABLE and DIGITAL VERSIONS for Distance Learning and In-Person Classrooms.