SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Things Fall Apart. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 214-page Things Fall Apart Literature Guide includes an entire teacher's unit full of ready-to-go lesson plans, activities, worksheets, quizzes, tests, and more for teaching Chinua Achebe's novel Things Fall Apart.
This Literature Guide for Things Fall Apart has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 9-12.
Here's what Sugandhi C. said: This product is probably one of the most helpful products I've purchased on this site. The activities were quite thorough and engaging, and I especially appreciated the vocabulary lists, vocabulary quizzes, and family tree diagram. Thanks for a great product!
- List of 10 Pre-Reading Activities for introducing themes and activating prior knowledge
- Author Biography on Chinua Achebe with corresponding questions about the article
- Historical Context articles and questions on Africa, Colonialism and the Colonial Period in Africa, Nigeria, and Olaudah Equiano - Ibo Slave
- Notes on and explanations for the Allusions and Proverbs in the novel
- Vocabulary Lists with and without definitions
- Anticipation Activity on the themes of Things Fall Apart
- Map of Character Relationships
- Active Reading Guide for note-taking throughout the novel
- Study Guide, Discussion, Reading Comprehension Questions for each chapter
Specific activities and worksheets focused on Reading: Literature Literary Analysis activities for each section, including activities on:
- Elements of a Tragedy
- Direct vs. Indirect Characterization
- Allegorical Tales
- Figurative Language: Metaphor, Simile, and Hyberbole
- Voice - Narrative Point of View
- Voice - Diction and Tone
CCSS Language - vocabulary and grammar worksheets and activities for each section, including specific, focused activities addressing:
- Recognizing How Words Are Related
- Context Clues
- Understanding Dictionary Entries
- Word Parts
- Latin Roots
- Multiple Choice, Matching, True/False, or Short Response Reading Quizzes for each section
- Three Vocabulary Crossword Puzzles for review, early finishers, or extra credit
- Three Vocabulary Tests
- Reading Extension Activity with a comparison of Colonialism in Poetry to the novel
- Two Final Test versions - one test completely Multiple Choice
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Teacher Guide including Sample Agenda and Teacher Notes, a Bibliography with References and Resources
- Summary of the Novel
- Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment Project Ideas
- Essay Prompts and Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
Angelica R. said: The best resource you'll find for this novel. Perfect with all the added activities to parallel and cross examine other literary works that won't take up or overlap entirely with the primary source. It was so perfect on many levels especially when discussing colonialism.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.