SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for The Scarlet Letter. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
The Scarlet Letter novel unit, 130 pages of activities, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA in Literature as well as the NCTE/IRA National ELA Content Standards in English for 9th through 12th grade. MORE than enough to choose from in this comprehensive unit, depending upon your desired learning outcomes and the amount of time you have to spend teaching The Scarlet Letter!
Dana D. said: Amazing!! This is my first year of teaching and this was a life saver. Worth the money, definitely! Everything is so clearly laid out and organized by standards and manageable chapter chunks. THANK YOU!
Teaching with Simply Novel's The Scarlet Letter complete unit brings the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself!
This The Scarlet Letter Literature Guide includes:
- Biography and Corresponding Questions on author Nathaniel Hawthorne (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Historical Context articles and corresponding questions/activities on Puritanism (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Historical Context articles and corresponding questions/activities on Crime and Punishment (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Historical Context articles and corresponding questions/activities on Life as a Puritan (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Notes on Historical Terminology and Allusions (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Anticipation/Reaction Pre-Reading Activity
- Pre-Reading Activities List (numerous standards addressed)
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary Activities
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions (numerous standards addressed)
- Reading: Literature standards-aligned activities on:
- Motif (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.5)
- Conflict (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.5)
- Setting (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.5)
- Symbolism (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.5)
- Plot (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.5)
- Theme (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2)
- Language aligned activities with skill practice on
- Word Roots (L.9-10.4.B, L.9-10.4.C, L.9-10.4.D; L.11-12.4.B, L.11-12.4.C, L.11-12.4.D)
- Context Clues (L.9-10.4.A; L.11-12.4.A)
- Word Parts (L.9-10.4.B, L.9-10.4.C, L.9-10.4.D; L.11-12.4.B, L.11-12.4.C, L.11-12.4.D)
- Definitions (L.9-10.4.D; L.11-12.4.D)
- Analogies (L.9-10.5, L.9-10.A; L.11-12.5, L.11-12.5.A)
- Connotation (L.9-10.5, L.9-10.5.B; L.11-12.5, L.11-12.5.B)
- Post-Reading Project and Extension Ideas List (numerous standards addressed)
- Essay-Writing Ideas and Prompts (numerous standards addressed)
- Summary of the Novel
- Quizzes for each set of chapters
- Two Different Unit Test Versions
- Project and Response to Literature Rubrics
- Complete Answer Key
Lucerito S. said: Worth the money! This is my first year teaching juniors and I really did not know where to start since we currently do not have a curriculum map for English III. Anyways, this Secondary Solutions The Scarlet Letter unit saved my life. The sample agenda, list of summaries, reading guides, list of definitions, are absolutely put together to make this unit flow. The best part to me were the "Standards Focus" guides because this unit allowed me to integrate the standards effectively into the reading of the novel. Let me not forget to mention that there are answer keys which help with grading. Truly a great source! I will be looking to see if they have other units listed.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.