SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for The Pearl. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
The Pearl 125-page teaching guide for grades 9-12; This complete unit for teaching the novella The Pearl has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 9 through 12.
Erin H said about this guide: Thank you for this comprehensive unit. I was so impressed with another novel resource I purchased from you that I had to come back for this one. I wish you had something created for every novel I teach! I really appreciate the focus and connection to standards as opposed to a sole focus on what is happening in the story, which I tend to find in other resources.
This Literature Guide for The Pearl has the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself! Your students will walk away with a love, enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing.
This unit includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Note-Taking and Summarizing activity
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions throughout
- List of various Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- List of various Essay and Writing Prompts
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on Historical Context: Mexico into the Early 20th Century (RI.9-10.1; RI.11-12.1)
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on Cultural Aspects of The Pearl (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2)
- Author Biography and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on author John Steinbeck (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2)
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on Style of the Novella (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with and one without definitions (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- Glossary of Allusions, Unique Terminology, Sayings, and Slang (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus lessons on
- Literary Devices to Affect Tone and Mood (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Supporting Inferences with Textual Evidence (RL.9-10.1; RL.11-12.1)
- Identifying Theme (RL.9-10.2, W.9-10.9; RL.11-12.2, W.11-12.9)
- Compare/Contrast the Novella and Movie (RL.9-10.7; RL.11-12.7)
CSS Writing Focus lessons on
- Planning a Narrative (W.9-10.3.A, W.11-12.3.A)
- Argumentative Letter Writing (W.9-10.1, W.9-10.1.B, W.9-10.1.C; W.11-12.1, W.11-12.1.B, W-11-12.1.C)
- Informative/Explanatory Affidavit (W.9-10.2.B, W.11-12.2.B)
CCSS Language Focus lessons on
- Semicolons and Colons (L.9-10.2.A)
- Using Online Vocabulary Tools (L.9-10.4.C, L.9-10.4.D; L.11-12.4.C, L.11-12.4.D)
- Using Context Clues to Determine Meaning (L.9-10.4.A, L.11-12.4.A)
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Three Final Exam Versions
- Final Vocabulary Tests
- Comparing and Contrasting the Novella with the movie
- Essay and Writing Ideas/Prompts
- Teacher Guide with Sample Agenda, Bulletin Board Suggestions, Novella Summary, Project Rubrics
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
Hector C. said: This is an excellent and thorough resource. Whether it's your first time teaching this novella or you are looking for new elements to add to an existing unit, this product has much to offer. Great background information about historical context, author's bio, literary style, etc. There are plenty of reading questions included for each chapter. Also, you'll find a variety of "project" ideas with graphic organizer and rubrics included. A very great product overall.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.