SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass Teaching Unit is written using time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, Grades 6-8. This fully reproducible Guide has everything you need, including Literature, Writing, and Language Standards- Focused Activities, Chapter Questions, Quizzes, Tests, complete Teacher’s Guide and Resources, Pre-Reading and Post-Reading Ideas and Activities, Related Informational Articles and Activities, and more!
Here's what Shayna H. said: Fantastic product. Easy to use, easy for students to understand, yet thorough coverage of the book. Highly recommended!
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
- Reading: Informational Focus articles and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on
- The Genre of Historical Narrative
- History of Slavery Around the World
- Slavery in the Modern World
- Biography of Frederick Douglass
- Pre-Reading Anticipation/Reaction Guide
- Active Reading Guide: Note-Taking and Summarizing
- Reading Comprehension and Literary Analysis Questions
- Vocabulary Lists: one with, and one without definitions (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
- Comprehensive defined list of Allusions and Terminology (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
CCSS: Informational Focus lessons:
- Impact of Word Choice ( RI.6.4, RI.6.6, L.6.5; RI.7.4; RI.8.4)
- Assessing a Narrative (RI.6.2, RI.6.3; RI.7.2, RI.7.3, RI.8.3 )
- Text Structure and Organization ( RI.6.3, RI.6.5, RI.6.8; RI.7.5, RI.7.8; RI.8.5, RI.8.8)
- Analyzing Argument and Point of View (RI.6.6; RI.7.6; RI.8.6)
- Identifying Theme and Central Idea (RI.6.2; RI.7.2; RI.8.2)
- Poetry (RI.7.5, RI.8.5)
- CCSS Reading: Literature Focus on Poetry (RL.7.5, RL.8.6)
- CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including:
- The Power of Words ( W.6.4, W.6.10; W.7.4, W.7.10; W.8.10)
- Using Precise Language (W.6.2.D; W.7.2.D, L.7.3.A; W.8.2.D)
- Writing Persuasively (W.6.1, W.6.1.B; W.7.1, W.7.1.B; W.8.1, W.8.1.B)
- Writing Informational and Explanatory Texts (W.6.1, W.6.2, W.6.2.A, W.6.5; W.7.1, W.7.2, W.7.2.A, W.7.5; W.8.1, W.8.2, W.8.2.A, W.8.5)
- Research Project (W.6.4, W.6.5, W.6.6, W.6.7; W.7.4, W.7.5, W.7.6, W.7.7; W.8.5, W.8.6, W.8.7, W.8.8)
- CCSS Speaking and Listening Focus on a Research Project (SL.6.1.A, SL.6.1.B; SL.7.1.A, SL.7.1.B, SL.7.4, SL.8.1.A, SL.8.1.B, SL.8.4)
- CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons on The Power of Words ( L.6.5.C, L.7.5.C, L.8.4, L.8.5.C) and Using Precise Language (L.6.3.A; L.7.3.A ; L.8.1.B, L.8.1.C, L.8.1.D)
- Reaching Quizzes
- Two Final Exams, one entirely multiple choice
- Final Vocabulary Exam
- List of Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- List of Essay Prompts and Creative Writing Ideas
- Teacher Guide, including:
- Sample Teacher Agenda
- Notes to the Teacher
- Letter to Parents
- Summary of the Novel
- Persuasive Writing Rubric
- Informational and Explanatory Texts Rubric
- Presentation Rubric
- Two Project Rubrics
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
Chenethia Brown said: Absolutely love this resource! It is a great start as a first time novel study of this book.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.