SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 172-page The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe novel study unit includes comprehensive standards-aligned activities, lessons, assessments, and more. Save yourself time and money by purchasing a guide that gets it right. Engage your students and address the standards with quality products done for you - the first time!
Here's what Dave M. said about this unit: LOVE THIS! I first purchased Bud, Not Buddy and loved how you avoided a lot of the fluff and got right down to the vocabulary and questions! This is just as awesome, if not better!
Written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching this The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe unit is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 5-6. However, depending upon your students' abilities, many of these rigorous activities/lessons can be used easily in other grades.
- Pre-Reading Activities and Ideas (numerous CCSS Standards addressed)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Activities for close reading (numerous CCSS Standards addressed)
- Comprehension and Analysis Chapter Questions (numerous CCSS Standards addressed)
- Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment (numerous CCSS Standards addressed)
- Essay Prompts and Writing Ideas (numerous CCSS Standards addressed)
- Vocabulary Lists: with and without definitions (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Allusions and Terminology (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- CCSS Reading: Informational Text Focus Articles and Questions on:
- Fantasyland – Genre of Fantasy (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.8; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.6)
- Origins and Myths of the Creatures of Narnia (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.3)
- Author Biography: C.S. Lewis (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.8; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.3, RI.6.8)
- CCSS Reading: Literature Focus Lessons on:
- Comparing and Contrasting Stories of Fantasy Genre (RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3, RL.5.9; RL.6.1, RL.6.2, RL.6.3, RL.6.7, RL.6.9)
- Examining the Evidence (RL.5.1, RL.5.3.B, RI.5.1, W.5.1.B; RL.6.1, RL.6.3.B, RI.6.1, W.6.1.B,)
- Examining Symbolism (RL.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.7; RL.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.7)
- Examining Point of View (RL.5.5, RL.5.6; RL.6.5, RL.6.6)
- Aslan – The Greater Picture (RL.5.5, RL.5.9, RI.5.3; RL.6.5, RL.6.9, RI.6.3)
- CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including lessons on:
- Narrative Writing – Mr. Tumnus’s Journal (W.5.1, W.5.1.A, W.5.1.B; W.6.1, W.6.1.A, W.6.1.B)
- A Writer’s Style – Run-Ons and Fragments (W.5.4, W.5.5.B; W.6.4, W.6.5)
- Introductory Paragraph (W.5.2, W.5.2.A, W.5.3.C, W.5.7; W.6.2, W.6.2.A, W.6.3.C, W.6.7)
- Developing Research (W.5.2.B, W.5.7, W.5.8, W.5.9; W.6.2.B, W.6.7, W.6.8, W.6.9)
- Conclusion (W.5.2.E, W.5.3.C; W.6.2.E, W.6.2.F, W.6.3.C)
- Making Connections and Pulling Your Writing Together (W.5.2.C, W.5.2.D; W.6.2.C, W.6.2.D)
- Writer’s Workshop (W.5.5; W.6.5)
- CCSS Speaking and Listening Focus activities and lessons, including
- One-on-One Interviews (SL.5.1, SL.5.1A, SL.5.1.B, SL.5.1.C; SL.6.1, SL.6.1.A, SL.6.1.B, SL.6.1.C)
- Poetry – The Aslan Reaction (SL.5.2, SL.5.6; SL.6.2, SL.6.6)
- CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including
- A Writer’s Style – Run-Ons and Fragments (L.5.3, L.5.3.A; L.6.1.E, L.6.3.A, L.6.3.B)
- Exploring Figurative Language (L.5.5.A, RL.5.3, RL.5.4; L.6.5.A, RL.6.4)
- Quizzes every three chapters
- Three Final Exam Versions - one "mixed" response, one "constructed" response, and one multiple choice
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Essay and Writing Prompts and Ideas
- Post-Reading Extension and Alternative Assessment Ideas
- Sample Agenda and Notes for the Teacher
- Summary of the Novel
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
Adrienne H. said: So, I was totally fretting about making a new guide for this text (I teach 9th grade, but NONE of them have ever been exposed to many books, and this is just the right age for so many of their reading levels...) and then I got the email message that this had been created! I really did cry a little from the happiness and release of stress. I love this text, and I love your guides. The students have gotten used to them, and past students lament losing the routine and comprehension that these present to them. All I have to do (blessedly) is realign it to high school standards.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.