The House on Mango Street 122-page novel study unit: complete lesson, activity, analysis and assessment bundle complete with student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and more! Classroom-tested by over 1,300 teachers with a 4.9/5 Rating! Students will be able to self-direct their study in many cases, making it perfect for in-person or distance learning. Please note, however, that this product is a PDF and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Here's what Mariah M. said: This is an amazing unit. As a first year teacher, I was stressing out so much about teaching poetry for the first time. This really broke it down for me to see. Literally everything you need for the unit is in this bundle. Life-saver and well worth the money!
Erin B. said: This is one of the best purchases I have ever made! This bundle provides you with everything you need to properly teacher The House on Mango Street. This is my first time teaching this book and I actually feel prepared every day because of these resources.
Mrs S. said: Without exaggeration, this might be the best money I've ever spent. The hours I've saved by having this resources is unbelievable!
This The House on Mango Street Literature Guide includes:
- Biography on author Sandra Cisneros with corresponding questions about the article
- Historical Context article: The Mexican Population in Chicago with corresponding questions about the article
- Article on Novellas and Vignettes
- A list of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities for use before reading the novel
- Pre-Reading Activity on Thematic Literary Elements
- Anticipation Guide for personal reflection about the themes of the novel before reading
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions
- Defined list of Allusions, Slang, and Spanish Words
- Note-Taking and Response Chart for student-centered note-taking and reflection during reading
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions
- Journal Topics for each vignette
Literary Analysis Skills Focus Activities on:
- Figurative Language
- Character Interaction
- Setting and Theme
- Theme and Character - Gender Roles
- Referential Texts
Writing and Language Skills Focus Activities on:
- Sentence Structure
- Parallel Structure
- Context Clues
- Task, Audience, and Purpose
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes
- Two Versions of the Final Test - One entirely multiple choice
- Sample Agenda and Teacher Notes
- Novel Summary
- Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment Ideas
- Essay and Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics and a Response to Literature Rubric for help with grading projects and essays
- Complete Answer Key
Ashley V. said: I feel like I've been searching forever for a great The House on Mango Street resource. I am so excited to have found this! I bought it this morning and have already used it with my students. I'm loving it so far and can't wait to keep diving in!
Sarah P. said: This is a great resource! This is not my first unit bought from Simply Novel. I'm a repeat customer because these units are very thorough and there is always more content than I need, which is definitely a good thing!