The Great Gatsby 123-page novel unit, complete with standards-aligned student coursework, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with 10th through 12th grade English / Language Arts Common Core standards.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
This The Great Gatsby Literature Guide includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, W.9-10.6, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.9; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, W.11-12.6, W.11-12.7, W.11-12.9)
- Notes on the Elements of Fiction with corresponding activity
- Author Biography on F.Scott Fitzgerald with corresponding questions (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1. RI.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Historical Context activity and corresponding questions on The Jazz Age (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1. RI.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Glossary of Allusions, Terminology, and Expressions (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity introducing themes (SL.9-10.1, SL.9-10.3, SL.9-10.6; SL.11-12.1, SL.11-12.3, SL.11-12.4, SL.11-12.6)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Charts (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, W.9-10.4; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, W.11-12.9)
- Comprehension Check Questions for each chapter (numerous standards addressed)
Here's what Sarah D. said: This was more expensive than other units on Gatsby, but it was worth the investment. It is well aligned with common core and has a good balance of rigor and scaffolding.
Debater's Toolbox said: This is a highly innovative and useful resource for teachers in need of a plan. I have found these resources easy to implement.
- Reading: Literature activities on:
- Narrator and Point of View (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Characterization (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Setting (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Foreshadowing and Prediction (RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Symbolism (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Figurative Language (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Tone (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Theme (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2)
- Colors as Symbols (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Reading Language Standards-based Activities on:
- Context Clues (L.9-10.4.A: L.11-12.4.A)
- Parts of Speech (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.6)
- Word Origins (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Vocabulary Replacement (L.9-10.4.A: L.11-12.4.A)
- Reading comprehension and analysis Quizzes every two chapters
- Two Final Test Versions - one entirely multiple choice
- Vocabulary Final Test
- Summary of the Novel
- List of various Post-Reading Activities and Ideas
- List of various Essay/Writing Ideas
- Teacher Resources, including Sample Agenda, Project and Writing Rubrics
- Complete Answer Key
Denise L. said: You get a lot of bang for your buck with Secondary Solutions (Simply Novel) materials. For those who have never taught Gatsby, this guide will more than get you through. For experienced teachers, I like the CCS coverage when I don't have time to create them myself. Love Secondary Solutions (Simply Novel)!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.
This is my first time teaching The Great Gatsby and this guide has saved my life! I love the standard aligned activities that go with each chapter as well has the detailed keys for each assignment, activity, quiz, and test. This guide has given me reassurance that I am not missing anything important and has helped determine how I will focus our time during this novel study.