SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for The Great Gatsby. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
The Great Gatsby 123-page novel unit, complete with standards-aligned student coursework, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with 10th through 12th grade English / Language Arts Common Core standards.
Here's what Sarah D. said: This was more expensive than other units on Gatsby, but it was worth the investment. It is well aligned with common core and has a good balance of rigor and scaffolding.
Debater's Toolbox said: This is a highly innovative and useful resource for teachers in need of a plan. I have found these resources easy to implement.
This The Great Gatsby Literature Guide has the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself! Your students will walk away with a love, enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing.
This Great Gatsby Guide includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, W.9-10.6, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.9; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, W.11-12.6, W.11-12.7, W.11-12.9)
- Notes on the Elements of Fiction with corresponding activity
- Author Biography on F.Scott Fitzgerald with corresponding questions (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1. RI.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Historical Context activity and corresponding questions on The Jazz Age (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1. RI.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Glossary of Allusions, Terminology, and Expressions (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity introducing themes (SL.9-10.1, SL.9-10.3, SL.9-10.6; SL.11-12.1, SL.11-12.3, SL.11-12.4, SL.11-12.6)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Charts (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, W.9-10.4; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, W.11-12.9)
- Comprehension Check Questions for each chapter (numerous standards addressed)
- Reading: Literature activities on:
- Narrator and Point of View (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Characterization (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Setting (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Foreshadowing and Prediction (RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Symbolism (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Figurative Language (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Tone (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Theme (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2)
- Colors as Symbols (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Reading Language Standards-based Activities on:
- Context Clues (L.9-10.4.A: L.11-12.4.A)
- Parts of Speech (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.6)
- Word Origins (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Vocabulary Replacement (L.9-10.4.A: L.11-12.4.A)
- Reading comprehension and analysis Quizzes every two chapters
- Two Final Test Versions - one entirely multiple choice
- Vocabulary Final Test
- Summary of the Novel
- List of various Post-Reading Activities and Ideas
- List of various Essay/Writing Ideas
- Teacher Resources, including Sample Agenda, Project and Writing Rubrics
- Complete Answer Key
Denise L. said: You get a lot of bang for your buck with Secondary Solutions (Simply Novel) materials. For those who have never taught Gatsby, this guide will more than get you through. For experienced teachers, I like the CCS coverage when I don't have time to create them myself. Love Secondary Solutions (Simply Novel)!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.