The Giver Novel Study mini-bundle of materials for teaching The Giver by Lois Lowry includes 7 awesome activities for helping your students specifically with the concepts of Exposition, Conflict, Setting, Symbolism, Foreshadowing, Imagery, and Theme!
- 3-page activity on Exposition within Plot, having students identify what they learned from direct excerpts from the first four chapters of the novel
- 4-page activity on Conflict, as students identify the type of conflict and an explanation of the effect of this particular conflict within the plot.
- 3-page activity on Setting & Conflict, as students identify aspects of the setting, and work with how these create conflict within the story
- 2-page activity on Symbolism, as students work to identify the meaning of the symbols used in the novel, with a comparison to these symbols in our culture
- 2-page activity on Foreshadowing, in which students are given examples of foreshadowing and work to identify how the foreshadowing eventually played out in the novel
- 2 pages of questions that have students work with Imagery from the novel, what they pictured, and illustrating a passage
- 4 pages of questions that have students work with the Themes of the novel, and how themes appeared in the novel
- Includes Answer Keys whenever possible (some writing is subjective)