SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn 308-page Common Core Aligned Lessons, Activities, and Assessments Unit for Mark Twain's classic novel. Written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 9-12. MORE than enough to choose from in this comprehensive unit, depending upon your desired learning outcomes and the amount of time you have to spend teaching Huck Finn!
Here's what Ashley C. said about this guide: This resource is thorough, intuitive, and extremely helpful. I love how there is a language focus for each section in addition to comprehension, and the writing assignments included are creative and interesting. Absolutely awesome resource! Thank you!
MrsLoveLIT said: This file is huge! So many resources! I've never taught Huck Finn before, so this is ENORMOUSLY helpful as a jumping off point. Thank you!
Teaching with Simply Novel's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn complete unit allows the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself.
This Literature Guide for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn includes:
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide and Reflection
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions
- List ofEssay and Writing Prompts
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- List of Post-Reading Alternative Assessment Ideas
- Reading: Informational focus articles and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on
- Genre: Historical Fiction (RI.9-10.1; 10; RI.11-12.1, 10)
- Slavery throughout History (RI.9-10.1, 4; 10; RI.11-12.1, 4, 10)
- Slavery in America: The 1500s to the early 1800s (RI.9-10.1, 4; 10; RI.11-12.1, 4, 10)
- Reconstruction and the Gilded Age (RI.9-10.1, 4; 10; RI.11-12.1, 4, 10)
- Reading: Informational Focus Biography on author Mark Twain, followed by corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.9-10.1, 4; 10; RI.11-12.1, 4, 10)
- CCSS Reading: Literature Focus lessons on
- Identifying Motifs (RL.9-10.1, 2, 5; RL.11-12.1, 2, 5)
- Comparing Nineteenth-Century Works with Similar Topics (RL.9-10.1, 6; RL.11-12.1, 6)
- Bildungsroman (RL.9-10.1, 3; RL.11-12.1, 3)
- Satire (RL.9-10.1, 4; RL.11-12.1, 4)
- Romantic Poetry (RL.9-10.1, 4; RL.11-12.1, 4)
- Glossary of Allusions and Unique Terms (RL.9-10.1, 4; RL.11-12.1, 4)
- Figurative Language, Imagery, and Mood (RL.9-10.1, 4; RL.11-12.1, 4)
- Analyzing the Significance of Setting (RL.9-10.1, 5; RL.11-12.1, 5)
- Recognizing Allusions to Shakespeare (RL.9-10.1, 9; RL.11-12.1, 9)
- CCSS Writing Focus lessons including
- Introducing and Developing Your Claim (W.9-10.1, 1.A, 1.B; W.11-12.1, 1.A, 1.B)
- Writing an Essay Of Argumentation (W.9-10.1, 1.A, 1.B; W.11-12.1, 1.A, 1.B)
- Organizing Your Argumentative Essay (W.9-10.1, 1.C, 1.D; W.11-12.1, 1.C, 1.D)
- Finishing Your Argumentative Essay (W.9-10.1, 1.E; W.11-12.1, 1.E)
- Writing a Descriptive Paragraph in a Narrative (W.9-10.3, 3.A; W.11-12.3, 3.A)
- Establishing Mood in Narrative Writing (W.9-10.3, 3.C, 3.D; W.11-12.3, 3.C, 3.D)
- Writing Vivid Descriptions (W.9-10.3, 3.C, 3.D; W.11-12.3, 3.C, 3.D)
- Using Dialect in Writing (W.9-10.4; W.11-12.4)
- Personal Narrative (W.9-10.4; W.11-12.4)
- Writing a Response to Literature (W.9-10.9; W.11-12.9)
- CCSS Language Focus information and lessons including
- Glossary of Terms (L.9-10.4, 6; L.11-12.4, 6)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with and one without definitions (L.9-10.4, 6; L.11-12.4, 6)
- Understanding Clauses (L.9-10.1, 1.B)
- Semicolons (L.9-10.2, 2.B)
- Consulting Digital References to Define Historical Terms (L.9-10.3, 6; L.11-12.1, 1.B, 4.C, 4.D, 6)
- Hyphens (L.11-12.2, 2.A)
- Using Dashes and Identifying Rhetorical Devices (L.9-10.3; L.11-12.3)
- Dialect (L.9-10.4, 4.A, 4.B, 4.C, 4.D; L.11-12.4, 4.A, 4.B, 4.C, 4.D)
- Determining Etymologies of Words (L.9-10.4, 4.A, 4.B, 4.C, 4.D; L.11-12.4, 4.A, 4.B, 4.C, 4.D)
- Figurative Language, Imagery, and Mood (L.9-10.5, 5.A, 6; L.11-12.5, 5.A, 6)
- Reading Quizzes
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final Exam Options: one entirely Multiple Choice, and one written to capture the rigor of Common Core testing
- Teacher’s Guide, including:
- Sample Agenda
- Notes to the Teacher
- Supplemental Resource List
- Project Rubrics
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
Buyer said: This unit has more than I will ever need and has provided plenty of inspiration and guidance for teaching this novel. I would highly recommend this unit, especially if it's your first time teaching Huck Finn. Great job!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.