SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Shiloh. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
116 pages of Activities, Lessons, Questions, Quizzes ready-to-go in this complete Literature Guide lesson bundle for Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. Written using time-tested best practices for teaching, and aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for Grades 3-4.
4th Grade Cupcakes said: This is such an amazing resource... It's so detailed and complete. I can see the alignment to the CCSS. It's great!
This Common Core Aligned Literature Guide for Shiloh includes (specific Common Core standards addressed are in parentheses):
- A list of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities for use before reading the novel
- Pre-Reading articles on Animal Cruelty and Abuse (RI.3.1, RI.3.7, RI.3.10, SL.3.1.A, SL.3.1.D ; RI.4.1, SL.4.1.A, SL.4.1.C), and Life in Appalachia (RI.3.1, RI.3.7, RI.3.10; RI.4.1, RI.4.3)
- Biography on author Phyllis Reynolds Naylor with corresponding questions about the article (RI.3.1, RI.3.7, RI.3.10; RI.4.1, RI.4.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide Response for personal reflection about the themes of the novel before reading (SL.3.1, SL.3.1.D, SL.3.3; SL.4.1, SL.4.1.D)
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions
- Glossary of Regional / Cultural Terms
- Note-Taking Organizer for each section (RL.3., RL.3.2: RL.4.1, RL.4.2)
- Chapter Questions for each section (RL.3.1, RL.3.2, RL.3.2, RL.3.5, RL.3.10; RL.4.1, RL.4.2, RL.4.3, RL.4.10)
MrsRteachesFourth said: My students were SO engaged throughout our novel study thanks to these!
Specific CCS-Based Literature Focus Activities on
- Dialect (RL.3.4, SL.3.1, SL.3.1.B, SL3.3; RL.4.4, SL.4.1, SL.4.1.B, SL.4.1.D)
- Point of View (RL.3.1, RL.3.6, RL.4.1, RL.4.6)
- Character Traits (RL.3.3; RL.4.3)
- Summarizing (RL.3.2: RL.4.2)
- Theme (RL.3.2; RL.4.2)
- Compare/Contrast (RL.4.7)
Specific CCS-Based Language Focus Activities on
- Simple and Compound Sentences (L.3.1.I, L.4.2.C)
- Quotations (L.3.2.C; L.4.2.B)
- Verb Tenses (L.3.1.E; L.4.1)
- Synonyms and Antonyms (L.4.5.C)
Specific CCS-Based Writing Focuses on
- Supporting Your Opinion (W.3.1, W.3.1.B, W.3.10; W.4.1, W.4.1B, W.4.10)
- Creating a Research Project (W.3.7, W.3.8; W.4.7, W.4.8)
- Reading Quizzes for each section
- Two Versions of the Final Test - One entirely multiple choice
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Novel Summary by Chapter
- List of Post-Reading Activities
- Think-Tac-Toe Extension Project
- Essay/Writing Activities and Ideas
- Descriptive Rubric and Writing Rubric for help with grading projects and essays
- Helpful Teacher Notes, Resources, and Sample Agenda
- Complete Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for grades 3-4
Stephanie C. said: Loved this novel study!! This resource helped the novel come to life!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.