116 pages of Activities, Lessons, Questions, Quizzes ready-to-go in this complete Literature Guide lesson bundle for Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. Written using time-tested best practices for teaching, and aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for Grades 3-4.
4th Grade Cupcakes said: This is such an amazing resource... It's so detailed and complete. I can see the alignment to the CCSS. It's great!
This Common Core Aligned Literature Guide for Shiloh includes (specific Common Core standards addressed are in parentheses):
- A list of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities for use before reading the novel
- Pre-Reading articles on Animal Cruelty and Abuse (RI.3.1, RI.3.7, RI.3.10, SL.3.1.A, SL.3.1.D ; RI.4.1, SL.4.1.A, SL.4.1.C), and Life in Appalachia (RI.3.1, RI.3.7, RI.3.10; RI.4.1, RI.4.3)
- Biography on author Phyllis Reynolds Naylor with corresponding questions about the article (RI.3.1, RI.3.7, RI.3.10; RI.4.1, RI.4.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide Response for personal reflection about the themes of the novel before reading (SL.3.1, SL.3.1.D, SL.3.3; SL.4.1, SL.4.1.D)
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions
- Glossary of Regional / Cultural Terms
- Note-Taking Organizer for each section (RL.3., RL.3.2: RL.4.1, RL.4.2)
- Chapter Questions for each section (RL.3.1, RL.3.2, RL.3.2, RL.3.5, RL.3.10; RL.4.1, RL.4.2, RL.4.3, RL.4.10)
MrsRteachesFourth said: My students were SO engaged throughout our novel study thanks to these!
Specific CCS-Based Literature Focus Activities on
- Dialect (RL.3.4, SL.3.1, SL.3.1.B, SL3.3; RL.4.4, SL.4.1, SL.4.1.B, SL.4.1.D)
- Point of View (RL.3.1, RL.3.6, RL.4.1, RL.4.6)
- Character Traits (RL.3.3; RL.4.3)
- Summarizing (RL.3.2: RL.4.2)
- Theme (RL.3.2; RL.4.2)
- Compare/Contrast (RL.4.7)
Specific CCS-Based Language Focus Activities on
- Simple and Compound Sentences (L.3.1.I, L.4.2.C)
- Quotations (L.3.2.C; L.4.2.B)
- Verb Tenses (L.3.1.E; L.4.1)
- Synonyms and Antonyms (L.4.5.C)
Specific CCS-Based Writing Focuses on
- Supporting Your Opinion (W.3.1, W.3.1.B, W.3.10; W.4.1, W.4.1B, W.4.10)
- Creating a Research Project (W.3.7, W.3.8; W.4.7, W.4.8)
- Reading Quizzes for each section
- Two Versions of the Final Test - One entirely multiple choice
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Novel Summary by Chapter
- List of Post-Reading Activities
- Think-Tac-Toe Extension Project
- Essay/Writing Activities and Ideas
- Descriptive Rubric and Writing Rubric for help with grading projects and essays
- Helpful Teacher Notes, Resources, and Sample Agenda
- Complete Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for grades 3-4
Stephanie C. said: Loved this novel study!! This resource helped the novel come to life!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.