SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Out of the Dust. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 173-page Out of the Dust Common Core Standards-Based Literature Guide has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 5-6.
Here's what Dezarae Norris said: Anything you could possibly need for a solid, rigorous novel study!
This Out of the Dust Literature Guide includes (Common Core Standards each activity addresses is in parentheses):
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Chart
- Comprehension and Analysis questions (numerous standards addressed)
- Vocabulary Lists: with and without definitions (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Allusions and Terminology (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Reading: Informational Focus articles and corresponding
CCSS-aligned Comprehension questions on
- The Great Depression (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3; RI.6.1, RI.6.2)
- America in the 1930s (RI.5.3)
- Science Focus: Drought and Erosion (RI.5.1; RI.6.1, RI.6.3, RI.6.7)
- The Exodus (RI.5.4, RI.5.8, W.5.3; RI.6.4, W.6.3)
- When Disasters Happen – Oklahoma (RI.5.3, RI.5.4; RL.6.4, RL.6.7)
- Historical Fiction and Free Verse Poetry (RI.5.1, RI.5.2; RI.6.1, RI.6.2)
- Author Biography – Karen Hesse (RI.5.1; RI.6.1)
- The New Deal (RI.5.1; RI.6.1)
- Science Focus: Dust Storms (RI.5.1, RI.5.7; RI.6.1, R.I.6.7)
Catherine R. said: Very thorough! Probably the best literature guide I have ever bought!
CCSS Reading: Literature Lessons on:
- Inference with Textual Support (RL.5.1; RL.6.1)
- Point of View (RL.5.6; RL.6.6)
- Reading Poetry Versus Hearing Poetry (RL.5.2, RL.5.5; RL.6.5, RL.6.7)
- Figurative Language (RL.5.4, L.5.5; RL.6.4, L.6.5)
- Understanding Author’s Choice (RL.5.1, RL.5.2; RL.6.1, RL.6.2)
- Identifying Theme (RL.5.1, RL.5.2; RL.6.1, RL.6.2)
CCSS Writing activities and lessons, including
- Narrative Writing (W.5.3; W.6.3)
- Gathering Support for a Persuasive Piece (W.5.1, W.5.1.A, W.5.1.B; W.6.1, W.6.1.A, W.6.1.B)
- Organizing Research (W.5.7; W.6.7)
- Narratives Focused on Cause and Effect (W.5.3, W.5.3.B, W.5.3.C; W.6.3, W.6.3.B, W.6.3.C)
- Narrative Techniques (W.5.3, W.5.3.A, W.5.3.B, W.5.3.C, W.5.3.D; W.6.3 W.6.3.A, W.6.3.B, W.6.3.C, W.6.3.D)
- Compare and Contrast Texts (W.5.9; W.6.9)
- Poetry Writing (W.5.4, W.5.5; W.6.4, W.6.5)
CCSS Language activities and lessons, including
- Similes and Metaphors (L.5.5; L.6.5)
- Using Context Clues to Define Vocabulary (L.5.4.A; L.6.4.A)
- Changing Styles (L.5.3.A; L.6.3.A)
- Using a Thesaurus (L.5.4.C, L.6.4.C)
- Learning Vocabulary Through Word Relationships (L.5.4, L.5.5; L.6.4, L.6.5)
Hammatt's ELA Corner said: If you're teaching this novel and you purchase anything other than this, you're wasting your money. This is fantastic!
- CCSS Speaking and Listening lesson on Persuasive Presentation (SL.5.4, SL.5.5, SL.5.6; SL.6.4, SL.6.5, SL.6.6)
- Reading and Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final Exam Versions - One entirely Multiple Choice
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Teacher Guide, including
- Sample Agenda and Teacher Notes
- Notes for the Teacher
- Summary of the Novel
- Presentation Rubric
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for Grades 5 and 6
Katherine S. said: This provided an immense amount of resources, all very well organized and included great higher level thinking.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.