Of Mice and Men 119-page Literature Guide bundle of student coursework, quizzes, tests, and teacher guides aligned with 9th and 10th grade English Language Arts content standards. Everything you've ever wanted in a unit plan is in this Guide! This Of Mice and Men Literature Guide is the solution to your lesson planning and CCSS stress!
Here's what Amy J. said: This is by far the very best item I have ever purchased on TPT. This is a complete guide for any teacher to use and includes a WEALTH of material as well as answers. As a new teacher this has saved me more time and distress than anything else I have purchased on this site and was well worth every penny. Due to the volume of ideas and the alignment to common core standards, I expect this product would be a great value to more experienced teachers, as well. I loved this so much I purchased another Secondary Solutions product, on The Great Gatsby, from them. I hope more of the novels for high school will be in their product line.
Teaching with Simply Novel's Of Mice and Men complete unit gives the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain a love, enjoyment, and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself.
This Of Mice and Men Guide includes:
- Sample Agenda and Teacher's Notes
- One-Page Handout on the Elements of Fiction
- Biography and Comprehension Check Questions on author John Steinbeck
- Historical context article on The Great Depression, followed by Comprehension Check Questions on the article
- Historical context article on Migrant Workers of California, followed by Comprehension Check Questions on the article
- Elements of Fiction and prediction activity
- Glossary of Allusions and Terminology from the novel
- Glossary of Idioms and Expressions from the novel
- Vocabulary lists with and without definitions by chapter
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity introducing themes
- Anticipation/Reaction Pre-Reading and Post-Reading Reflection
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Charts for each chapter
- Comprehension Check questions for each chapter
- Detailed, specific standards-focused Reading: Literature activities covering
- Analyzing Poetry (the Robert Burns poem "To a Mouse")
- Recognizing Vivid Details
- Conflict and Effect
- Character and Character Types
- Specific Language: Vocabulary and Grammar exercises, covering
- Word Analysis
- Word Origins
- Determining Parts of Speech
- Word Roots
- Understanding Vocabulary in Context
- Quizzes on each chapter (multiple choice, short response, true/false, fill-in the blank)
- Vocabulary Quizzes on each chapter (matching)
- Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzles
- Final Test (matching, multiple choice, short response)
- Final Test (multiple choice and short response)
- Final Vocabulary Test (matching)
- Summary of the Novel
- List of suggested Pre-Reading Activities for the novel
- List of Post-Reading Cross-Curricular Activities
- List of Essay and Creative Writing Prompts and Ideas
- Project Rubrics
- Answer Key
Mary Feagley said: Simply Novel continues to provide excellent study guide resources for most of the novels I teach. This was no exception. It was my first time to teach OMM...and it went splendidly! Looking forward to teaching it again this year.
Katharine M. said: This resource is amazing. I am so excited to use this for the next unit in my College Prep English 3 class. I feel like it will do this novella justice and challenge my students. Thank you so much for this wonderful resource. It is very extensive and thorough.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.