SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Odyssey. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This Literature Guide for teaching Homer's Odyssey features 139 pages of standards-based materials for grades 8-10. This Odyssey epic novel study bundle is the solution to your lesson planning stress!
Here's what Krystal Mammano said: Amazing! This is very organized and easy to use. It is a must-have reference when teaching The Odyssey!
Teaching with Simply Novel's Odyssey complete unit gives the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the epic itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself.
Chelsea Smith said: I highly recommend. I used this with pre-AP English I students and it was so helpful, especially as a first year teacher. I used this to build a very strong unit that was true to me and I didn't have to recreate the wheel.
PLEASE NOTE: Page numbers in the Guide refer to the Stanley Lombardo translation of the Odyssey, ISBN 978-0872204843, ©2000. Please also note that the materials in this product may have to be altered and/or redesigned to align with your version of the Odyssey, especially in the case of abridged versions in textbooks.
This Odyssey teacher guide includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Informational Article and corresponding questions on Homer
- Articles on the Genre of Mythology, the Epic Hero, and the Epic Poem
- Notes on English Language: The Greek Alphabet
- Extensive Odyssey Terms and Character List
- Map of Character Relationships from the Odyssey
- Anticipation Guide/Pre-Reading Reflection Group Activity
- Introduction to the Odyssey comprehension and analysis questions
- Journal Response Chart blank
- Active reading journaling and note-taking Activities for each book
- 16 Vocabulary Builder Activities focused on that can be used with any translation
- Comprehension Check Reading Questions
Standards-Focused activities on:
- Character Types
- Telemachus's Resume
- Dramatic Irony
- Point of View
- Figures of Speech
- Simile and Metaphor
- Symbolism and Allegory
- Conflict and Effect
- Reading comprehension Quiz every two books
- Two Final Exam versions
- Teacher Guide with Sample Agenda
- Plot Overview and Sequence of Adventures
- Structure of the Odyssey
- Graphic Organizer on the Structure of the Odyssey
- List of Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment
- List of Essay/Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.