This comprehensive Literature Guide for Night was designed to accompany two versions of Night: the 2006 Marion Wiesel translation as well as the 1982 Stella Rodman translation. Each unit includes 99 pages of student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA in Literature as well as the NCTE/IRA National ELA Content Standards in English for eighth through tenth grade.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
This Night Literature Guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
- Informational Text articles:
- Hitler and Other Important Persons of the Holocaust, followed by comprehension check questions
- Auschwitz and the Concentration Camps, followed by comprehension check questions
- Elie Wiesel biography, followed by comprehension check questions
Here's what Bailey W. said about our Night Unit: This resource has everything! Extension activities, writing prompts, a thorough break down of the novel. Its [sic] well organized and easy to use. I was so grateful for this resource!
- Anticipation/Reaction Pre-Reading Guide and Reflection
- Glossary of Holocaust Terminology
- Vocabulary Lists, both with and without definitions
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Chart for each chapter for note-taking during reading
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions
- Specific, standards-focused activities on Literature and Writing standards, including:
- Figurative Language
- Finding Supporting Quotations for Response to Literature Essays
- Denotation and Connotation
- Using Supporting Quotations for Response to Literature Essays
- Compare and Contrast Analysis of Literature
- Standards-focused activities on Grammar and Vocabulary, addressing:
- Vocabulary in Context
- Word Origins
- Anticipation/Reaction Post-Reading Reflection
- Vocabulary and Test Review Crosswords
- Reading and Vocabulary Quizzes for Each Section
- Two Final Exam Versions
- Novel Summary
- List of varied Post-Reading Ideas and Activities
- List of Essay and Creative Writing Ideas and Prompts
- Project and Response to Literature Rubrics
- Notes for the Teacher
- Sample Agenda
- Complete Answer Key
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.
I have been teaching language arts and literature to middle school students for twenty-three (23) years. There are NO better resources on the market. I base what I will teach on whether or not Simply Novel has a resource available! I only wish there were more! Thank you!!
This is what you’re looking for!! I’m a new teacher and I’m always searching for good material to use in the classroom. I am usually skeptical of anything you have to pay for but I am so happy I did! This saved me weeks of planning. The chapter questions are comprehensive, and the activities are great! Comes with an answer key, too!