Lord of the Flies 88-page teaching guide including student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and much more aligned with the Common Core ELA State Standards in Literature and the NCTE/IRA National ELA Standards for 9th through 11th grade.
Here's what Leslie F. said about this Lord of the Flies unit: I was able to use this bundle with my transition aged students who never read Lord of the Flies because their previous teachers didn't feel like it was a novel they would be able to understand due to its complexity. This resource was invaluable for helping me guide them through this challenging text. It was so worth it in the end; the students really enjoyed the book and now I feel great having exposed them to this classic!
This Lord of the Flies Literature Guide includes:
- Biography and corresponding questions on author William Golding (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Pre-Reading Activity with pre-reading and post-reading reflections on themes (numerous standards addressed)
- Vocabulary List With and Without Definitions (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; RL.11-11.4, L.11-12.6)
- Note-taking and Summarizing Activities for active reading throughout (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.10; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.10)
- Specific activities focused on Reading: Literature standards:
- Figurative Language (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Main and Subordinate Characters (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Tone and Mood (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Elements of Style (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Foreshadowing and Prediction (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, L.11-12.5)
- Response to Literature (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Symbolism (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Character Types (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Specific activities focused on practicing a particular set of Reading: Language skills:
- Connotation/Denotation (L.9-10.5, L.9-10.5.B; L.11-12.5, L.11-12.5.B)
- Vocabulary Extension (L.9-10.4.A; L.11-12.4.A)
- Context Clues (L.9-10.4.A; L.11-12.4.A)
- Base Words/Root Words (L.9-10.4.B, L.9-10.4.C, L.9-10.4.D; L.11-12.4.B, L.11-12.4.C, L.11-12.4.D)
- Sentence Construction with Vocabulary (L.9-10.4.B, L.9-10.4.C, L.9-10.4.D; L.11-12.4.B, L.11-12.4.C, L.11-12.4.D)
- Synonyms (L.9-10.5, L.9-10.A; L.11-12.5, L.11-12.A)
- Analogies (L.9-10.5, L.9-10.A; L.11-12.5, L.11-12.A)
- Just for Fun! Vocabulary Crosswords for Chapters 1-6 and Chapters 7-12
- Reading and Vocabulary Quizzes
- Just for Fun! Final Test Review Crossword puzzle
- Two Final Test Versions - one entirely multiple choice
- Novel Summary
- Pre-Reading and Post-Reading Activities (numerous standards addressed)
- Essay/Writing Ideas and Prompts (numerous standards addressed)
- Project Rubric
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
Rana E. said: Last year was my first time teaching Lord of the Flies. I used this resource practically every day to help me. This resource contains everything - vocabulary, background information, questions, and so on. This was worth every penny!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.
Shannon C. said: This literally saved my life. I have never bought something from secondary solutions that I didn't love. Great layout. Great activities. BEAUTIFUL!! Just WONDERFUL!!