Island of the Blue Dolphins No-Prep Novel Study Unit - Over 150 Pages! This standards-based teaching guide includes worksheets, activities, assessments, and more for teaching Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell! This product is a printable PDF and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
In this comprehensive Island of the Blue Dolphins Teaching bundle, you'll get:
Texts and Pre-Reading Activities to engage students and to support and introduce themes and concepts before reading
*Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
*Pre-Reading Activity - Visualization
*Author Biography with questions on Scott O'Dell
*Vocabulary Lists, with and without definitions
*Defined List of Allusions and Terms
*Note-Taking and Summarizing Organizers
Novel-based Literary Analysis Activities that support student practice in text analysis and close reading and dig deeper into the text, specifically, activities on:
- Elements of Plot
- Point of View
- Word Choice
- Metaphors and Similes
- Word Choice
- Making Inferences
- Cause and Effect
- Comparing and Contrasting Characters
- Comparing and Contrasting Setting
Novel-based Language and Writing Activities that support student practice, specifically on:
- Vocabulary in Context
- Transition Words
- Writing Inferences
- Narrative Writing
- Subject/Verb Agreement
- Sentence Fragments
- Perfect Tenses
- Using a Dictionary
*Over 100 Comprehension Questions
*25-Question Final Test that includes Multiple-Choice, Fill-in the Blank, and True/False
*25-Question Multiple Choice Final Test
*Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment List
*Essay and Writing Ideas
*Sample Teacher Agenda
*Summary of the Novel
*Sample Project Rubrics
*Sample Response to Literature Rubric
*Complete Answer Key
Here's what customers are saying about this Island of the Blue Dolphins Novel Study:
*Please note that this product was moved from our Elementary TPT store*
- Fantastic resource for Island of the Blue Dolphins. Saved me so much time! - Sharilyn M.
- I already purchased Anne Frank last year and knew I'd get more for this school year. Not disappointed at all. Grammar, writing, reading, and more are covered. I feel the students enjoy a break from using their textbooks to use this instead. - Pearl J.
- My students found this resource engaging. It brought in literary concepts like point of view, shades of meaning, etc. while having them practice summarizing the text and answering comprehension questions. - James W.
- I love using real books with my students in the classroom. I find that reading real books is more engaging and they learn more from the experience than using basal readers. The Simply Novel book studies are wonderful and I've used them for years. - Lindsey H.
- Loved the flexibility and organization of the unit. Could easily upload for distance learning or run off copies for in-person learning. - Ariana G.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.