I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings no-prep teaching guide with over 170 pages of student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and more for Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself.
Perfect for in-person classrooms or distance learning, this product is a printable PDF and
Here's what The Sneaker Teacher said about this guide: This bundle is intense! There's so much here and so much for students to do. The questions are great and actually prompt a variety of thinking - not just simply recalling facts from the text. I felt like I got a lot (!!) of materials, not just in quantity but also quality!
Matt B. says: This is the best resource I ever purchased on Teachers Pay Teachers. The material that it covers is broad and touches on nearly every part of LA studies. If you are introducing a topic, many of the activities serve as excellent companion pieces. If you are refreshing a topic, then the including material is great practice.
This Literature Guide for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings includes:
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
- Pre-Reading Activity: Poetry Analysis
- Article on Buildungsroman with corresponding questions
- Informational Text on the Civil Rights Movement with corresponding questions
- Informational Text on Jim Crow Laws with corresponding questions
- Informational Text on Racial Violence and Crime with corresponding questions
- Informational Text on Cultural/Social Context in Literature with questions
- Author Biography on Maya Angelou with corresponding questions
- Pre-Reading and Interpretation lesson
- Website Exploration: The Jim Crow Laws
- Vocabulary List with and without Definitions
- Diction, Allusions, Slang, and Other Unique Terminology List
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide: Pre-Reading Response and Post-Reading Response
- Active Reading Guide for Note-Taking
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions for deeper understanding of the novel
Specific CCSS Reading: Literature Lessons on:
- Word Choice and Tone
- Analyzing Event Order and Manipulation of Time
- Using Textual Evidence to Support an Inference
Specific CCSS Writing Lessons on:
- Descriptive Writing
- Narrative Writing
- Point of View
- Using Arguments to Support Claims
- Objective Tone
- Transition Words and Phrases
- Writing Introductions and Conclusions
Specific CCSS Language Lessons on:
- Parallel Structure
- Connotation and Denotation
- Using Context Clues to Identify Unknown Words
- Colons and Semicolons
- Reading Quizzes for each section
- Vocabulary Quizzes for each section
- Two Final Exams: one all-multiple choice
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Ideas
- Teacher's Agenda/Notes
- Sample Agenda
- Summary of the Novel
- Answer Key
Clare M. said: Exactly what I was looking for, well planned and practical, ready for classroom use. Thanks!
Kathryn D. said: This resource is thorough and comprehensive. I love using this seller's products because I know that I will get a full unit with well-integrated writing and critical thinking activities. This unit has great extension activities at the end into other curricular areas such as science and social studies, which I really appreciate. I also love the social and cultural context informational focuses at the beginning of the unit. Since I am teaching in an international school, my students have limited understanding of the history of racism and segregation in the United States. This was very helpful.
Rhonda S. said: I've used this unit with my 8th grade students and they have LOVED every lesson! I fully appreciate the comprehension questions, the quizzes, vocabulary, and informational text provided to build background knowledge. This resource is FANTASTIC! Thank you!!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.