SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Holes. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 163-page novel study unit for Louis Sachar's Holes includes fully-reproducible student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and much more. Aligned to Common Core State Standards and NCTE/IRA National ELA Standards for 6th through 8th grade.
Here's what Todd P. said about this Holes unit: I have just started teaching 6th grade this year and I had always loves [sic] this story so I knew I wanted to teach it. This companion piece made it so meaningful and worthwhile for all involved. I will use it for years to come ! Thanks... It was one less thing I had to worry and stress over.
This Holes Literature Guide includes:
- Informational text focus:
- Article and writing activity on author Louis Sachar
- Historical Context - Building Background informational article and questions
- Handout on the Elements of Fiction, questions and graphic organizer
- Activating Prior Knowledge Pre-Reading Activity
- Complete list of Allusions and Unique Expressions, defined
- Vocabulary lists both with and without definitions
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Activities for each section (every 3-5 Chapters)
- Comprehension Check/Study Guide questions for each section
- Literature Standards Focus activities on:
- Character Relationships
- Setting as Character
- Character Motivation
- Elements of Plot
- Language Standards Focus activities on:
- Hyphen, Colon, and Semi-Colon
- Pronoun/ Antecedent Reference
- Using Varied Sentence Structure
- Apostrophe Use
- Verb Tenses-Particles
- Precise Word Choice
- Just For Fun! Palindromes and Anagrams
- Reading Quizzes for each section (3-5 chapters)
- Part I, Part II Section Tests
- 4 Vocabulary Section Tests
- Two Final Test versions--one entirely multiple choice
- Novel Summary
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- List of Post-Reading Ideas and Activities
- List of Alternative Assessment and Extension Activities
- List of Essay and Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Sample Agenda, including special notes for teaching
- Complete Answer Key
Kelani Karnes said: This Literature guide was fantastic!! This really saved me some time when doing Holes with my kiddos!! Tests, questions, vocabulary and activities were great!!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.