This 98-page Literature Guide for Harriet the Spy is a complete lesson plan bundle containing no-prep handouts, activities, projects, quizzes, tests, and more, aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA, the NCTE/IRA National ELA Content Standards in English, and the Texas TEKS for grades 4 and 5.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
This Common Core Aligned Harriet the Spy Literature Guide includes (the specific standards addressed are in parenthesis):
Jennifer J said: This resource is awesome! High quality and perfect for a book study! Thank you!
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities designed to spark interest and introduce themes of the novel
- Pre-Reading Narrative and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on Dealing With Others (RL.4.1, RL.4.2; RL.5.1, RL.5.2)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide - "I Believe Statements" using the text of the book
- Biography on author Louise Fitzhugh with corresponding Comprehension Check questions about the article (RI.4.1, RI.4.3; RI.5.1)
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions (L.4.6; L.5.6)
- Allusions and Terminology to Know (L.4.6; L.5.6)
- Active Reading Note-Taking and Summarizing Organizer for use with each section (RL.4.2, RL.4.3; RL.5.2, RL.5.3)
- Chapter Questions throughout, focusing on numerous and varied Reading: Literature CCSS
Chapter-by-Chapter CCSS Reading: Literature Focus activities and lessons, including
- Point of View (RL.4.6; RL.5.6)
- Characterization (RL.4.3; RL.5.2, RL.5.3)
- Inference (RL.4.1: RL.5.1)
- Figurative Language (RL.4.4; RL.5.4)
- Structure of the Novel (RL.4.5: RL.5.5)
- Theme (RL.4.2; RL.5.2)
Mary Jo A. said: This is one of the best literature units I have used! Very aligned to CCSS!
Chapter-by-Chapter CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including
- Writing Narratives (W.4.3; W.5.3)
- Fact and Opinion (W.4.1; W.5.1)
- Poetry Using Figurative Language (W.4.4, RL.4.4, L.4.5.A; W.5.4, RL.5.4, L.5.5.A)
- Theme (W.4.1, W.4.9.A, RL.4.2; W.5.1, W.5.9.A, RL.5.2)
Chapter-by-Chapter Language Focus lessons on
- Commas (L.4.2.B, L.4.2.C; L.5.2.B, L.5.2.C)
- Using Context Clues (L.4.4.A; L.5.4.A)
- Reading and Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final Tests
- Final Test #1: 20 questions at mid- and high-level questioning, mid- and high-level rigor
- Final Test #2: 20 questions, completely Multiple Choice at low-level of questioning and low-level rigor
- Post-Reading Activity - Dinner Menu
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Teacher Agenda, including notes about this Guide
- Summary of the Book
- Rubric for assessing Narrative Writing
- General Writing Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
Common Core Alignment Documentation for grades 4 and 5
Zoey's Teaching Place said: Awesome unit for this book. You won't need to do any work but printing and making copies. Worth every penny.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.