SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Hamlet. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 138-page Hamlet Literature Guide includes everything you need to teach Shakespeare's Hamlet with ease. Ready-to-use, standards-aligned activities, lesson plans, quizzes, test, essay prompts, project ideas, and more.
This Hamlet unit has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 9-12.
Here's what MrsLoveLIT said: I've used so many of this seller's unit plans, and they are all very detailed and thorough. Highly recommended!
This rigorous, fully-aligned Literature Guide for teaching Hamlet includes:
- Pre-Reading Activities List
- Historical and Cultural References: Hamlet Research (online research for mini research paper)
- Scene Guides for active reading and keeping track of important events and elements of Hamlet
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Informational Focus: The Elements of Drama and corresponding Comprehension Check Questions
- Informational Focus: Shakespeare’s Theater and corresponding Comprehension Check Questions
- Author Biography: William Shakespeare and corresponding Comprehension Check Questions
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity (to explore themes and provoke discussion)
- Appreciating Shakespeare’s Language
- The Sonnet Form and Iambic Pentameter (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.5, RL.11-12.6)
- Comprehensive list of Allusions and Glossary of Terminology from the play (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary Lists, with and without definitions (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus Lessons including those on
- Author’s Choice (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.5)
- Conflict (RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Recognizing Thematic Clues (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Mood and Tone (RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.5.A)
- Connotation and Vocabulary (L.11-12.3.A, L.11-12.4.C)
- Style (RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.6)
- Character Motivations (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Characterization - Unfolding a Tragedy (RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Plot Development (RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.5)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including those on
- Making Claims in Argument (W.11-12.1.A, W.11-12.1.B, RL.11-12.1)
- Discerning Between Supported and Unsupported Claims (W.11-12.1.A-E, RL.11-12.1)
- Supporting Claims in Argument (W.11-12.1.A-E)
- Explanatory Writing- Instructions for Revenge (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, L.11-12.5, W.11-12.3.A-E)
- Response to Literature (W.11-12.1.A-E, RL.11-12.1)
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including
- Nuances (L.11-12.4.C, L.11-12.4.D, L.11-12.5.A)
- Parallel Structure (L.11-12.5)
- Context Clues (L.11-12.4.A)
- Figurative Language (L.11-12.5, L.11-12.5.A)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.4.A)
- Analogies (L.11-12.4.A, (L.11-12.5.B)
- CCSS Listening and Speaking Focus: Hamlet’s Tragic Flaw (SL.11-12.2, SL.11-12.4, SL.11-12.5, SL.11-12.6)
- Quiz on each Act
- Two Final Exam Options - One entirely Multiple Choice
- Teacher's Guide with
- Summary of the Play
- Suggested Related Reading
- Notes for the Teacher
- Sample Agenda
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.
April K. said: Excellent. I used this when teaching Hamlet for the second time and it was much more helpful than any other resource that I used when I taught the play for the first time. High-quality quizzes.