This 202-page Literature Guide for Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is a complete lesson bundle, including handouts, activities, comprehension and analysis questions on the novel, quizzes, tests, projects, and more. Everything you need is included in this ONE guide!
Here's what Angelica R. said: This resource is helpful in tackling a large novel. It is organized in a comprehensible manner and has extra resources to assist with understanding the analytical side to the book. My students were able to focus on its depth and meanings in a much easier fashion. Worth it!
This Great Expectations teacher guide is written using time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for Grades 9-12.
This complete Great Expectations teacher resource includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Active Reading Guide: Note-Taking and Summarizing
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions
- Reading Comprehension and Analysis Quizzes
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Two Final Test Versions
- Teacher's Guide including Sample Agenda, Rubrics, Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
Reading: Informational Focus articles and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on:
- Bildungsroman and Genre: Historical Fiction (RI.9-10.1; RI.11-12.1)
- A Tale of Two Endings (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.4; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.4)
- Wealth, Poverty, and Class in Victorian England (RI.9-10.1, RI.11-12.1)
- London in the Early Nineteenth Century and Post-Industrial England (RI.9-10.1, RI.11-12.1)
- Author Biography and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on author Charles Dickens (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with and one without definitions (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- Extended Vocabulary List (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Comprehensive defined list of Allusions, Terminology, and Expressions (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
Picas and Pearls in 3123 said: This unit has been a lifesaver! I love the depth of the lessons, and how each chapter section includes work on not only the novel but applying different literary terms and focuses.
CCSS Reading: Literature activities and lessons focused on:
- Using Imagery and Figurative Language (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Satire (RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.6; RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.6)
- Mystery (RL.9-10.5, RL.11-12.5)
- Characterization (RL.9-10.2; RL.11-12.3)
- Symbolism (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.5)
- Foreshadowing and Theme (RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.5)
- Plot (RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Theme (RL.9-10.2; RL.11-12.2)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons on:
- Character Sketch (W.9-10.4; W.11-12.4)
- Writing About Character (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, W.9-10.9; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, W.11-12.9)
- Altering Point of View (W.9-10.3.A; W.11-12.3.A)
- Biographical Approach (W.9-10.7, W.9-10.8, W.9-10.9; W.11-12.7, W.11-12.8, W.11-12.9)
- A Day in the Life (W.9-10.3; W.11-12.3)
- Persuasive Essay (W.9-10.1; W.11-12.1)
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons on:
- Using Literary Devices and Rhetorical Techniques (L.9-10.3, L.9-10.5.A, L.9-10.5.B; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.5.A, L.11-12.5.B)
- Sentence Structure (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.1.B; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.1.B)
- CCSS Speaking and Listening Focus: Endings Debate (SL.9-10.1; SL.11-12.1)
Donald T. said: Fantastic! Thanks so much! Well thought out and clear instructions, students loved it!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.