SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Frankenstein. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Frankenstein 161-page novel unit aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts for grades 11-12. Everything you've ever needed in a unit plan for teaching Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is in this Guide!
Here's what Emily Sales said: This is perhaps, the best resource I have ever purchased on Tpt. It is a thorough, yet rigorous unit that delves into standards-based close readings. Each grouping of chapters comes with a note-taking guide for students, comprehension check, quiz, CCSS lesson, and language activity. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Teaching with Simply Novel's Frankenstein complete unit gives the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself.
Julie C. said: Excellent resource. One of the best I've used. Loved how grammar and literary elements were interwoven with the comprehension portions.
This Frankenstein Literature Guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List (numerous standards addressed)
- Pre-Reading Activity exploring Biological Scientific Research (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- List of writing prompts/journal topics for each chapter (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.9; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.9)
- Author Biography and corresponding questions (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Historical Context activities on both Romanticism and the Gothic/Science Fiction Novel and Mythology (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Glossary of Allusions, Terminology, and Expressions from the novel (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary List with and without definitions (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing activities for each chapter or section (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, W.9-10.4; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, W.11-12.9)
- Comprehension Check/Study Guide questions for each chapter (numerous standards addressed)
- Reading: Literature standards-focused activities on:
- Mood and Tone (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Character Interactions (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Literary Archetypes (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.9)
- Imagery (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Foreshadowing (RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Symbolism (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Philosophical and Political Approaches to the Novel (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RI.9-10.8, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.8 W.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.8)
- Point of View (RL.9-10.6; RL.11-12.6)
- Characterization (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Historical Themes and Issues (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RI.9-10.8, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.8 W.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.8)
- Theme (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Language and Writing standards-based activities on:
- Vocabulary in Context (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.3, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4)
- Spelling, Punctuation and Capitalization (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.2; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.2)
- Verb Tense (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.3; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.3)
- Precise Word Choice (RL.9-10.4, W.9-10.4, L.9-10.1, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.3, L.11-12.5)
- Complements (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, L.9-10.1, L.9-10.3; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, L.11-12.1, L.11-12.3)
- Word Origins-Etymology (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Base Words/Root Words/Affixes (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Sentence Structure (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.10, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.3; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5)
- Analogies (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.5, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5, L.11-12.6)
- Reading Quizzes every set of chapters
- Two Final Exam Versions--one entirely Multiple Choice
- Teacher Guide including Notes for teaching the novel
- Summary of the novel
- Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment (numerous standards addressed)
- Essay and Writing Ideas/Prompts (numerous standards addressed)
- Project and Essay Rubrics
- Complete Answer Key
This Guide has been aligned to the Barnes & Noble Classics Edition, ISBN 978-1-59308-005-1, ©2003.
Lucerito S. said: I first purchased The Scarlet Letter bundle and instantly became a fan of Secondary Solutions' products. That is why I purchased this Frankenstein Literature Guide. I have been teaching Frankenstein for a couple of years now, but having this Common Core aligned unit allowed me to really embed more standards effectively into the reading. This unit is well worth the money. They really thought about everything when developing this unit. Let me not forget to mention that the answer keys were extremely helpful!Rachel B. said: I was very nervous about teaching Frankenstein, and this was so helpful! My department chair even had the same source, and he recommended it to all of us.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.