This bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Esperanza Rising. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
This 120-page Esperanza Rising standards-aligned Teaching Guide, aligned to grades 6-8, includes comprehension questions, writing activities, literary analysis, vocabulary and grammar exercises, quizzes, tests, and more. This Guide is sure to have everything you could want to address the Common Core Standards in your teaching!
Here's what Valori L. said about this Esperanza Rising unit: Heaven sent! This is exactly what I was looking for! It is so closely aligned to core standards and so similar to a core test! I'm thrilled to use it this term.
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
- Informational Focus: Author Biography with Corresponding Questions
- Pre-Reading Informational Focus on Historical Fiction
- Historical and Cultural Focus: Gallery Walk
- KWL Chart: The 1930s
- Allusions and Spanish Sayings
- Vocabulary Lists, with and without definitions
- Character List
- Active Reading Guide for Note-Taking for each section
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions on Characters and Plot for each section
Specific CCSS-Focused Literature Activities on:
- Point of View
- Character Growth
Specific CCSS-Focused Writing Activities on:
- Social Media Project
- Thematic Statements
- Analyzing Character Traits
- Researching Farm Workers
Specific CCSS-Focused Language Activities on:
- Connotation in Context
- Reading Quizzes for each section
- Vocabulary Quizzes for each section
- 2 Final Exams, one entirely multiple choice
- Vocabulary Test
- Websites and Resources for further student research
- Sample Agenda
- Notes to the Teacher
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Summary of the Novel
- Answer Key
Amy G. said: Our class loved using this literature guide as we read through this book. Very well written and common core aligned!
Anne S. said: This unit plan is amazing! It has saved me so much time planning and has much more engaging lessons than I ever could have come up with on my own! Thank you for making my life easier and my literature class better!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.