No-Prep Bud, Not Buddy novel study - 88-page unit of lessons, activities, quizzes, tests, and more! Classroom-tested by over 1,900 teachers with a 4.7/5 Rating.
Please note that this product is a printable PDF and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Here's what Barbara C. said: This resource is flexible and includes just about every skill development aspect of reading you can think of. It includes prereading, historical context, author information, figurative language, note-taking skills, vocabulary, individual reflection, symbolism, and parts of speech to mention a few. My fifth grade class had already started the book, so we took a step back and started to use the materials. They responded well and enjoyed the activities. Excellent resource which will create a more robust reading experience for the students. Great job!!
Steffanie W. said: This is an excellent guide to keep students challenged and engaged in the book. It also covers a variety of standards and is a great resource!! Promotes higher-level thinking/questioning.
This Bud, Not Buddy Literature Guide includes:
- Author Biography and corresponding questions on author Christopher Paul Curtis
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide Pre-Reading and Post-Reading reflection
- Historical Context Notes and corresponding questions on The Great Depression
- Notes on the Elements of Fiction
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions
- Defined list of Allusions and Terms found within the novel
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Charts, to encourage active reading and help students take notes on characters, events, write a summary of the chapter, and predict coming events
- Comprehension Check Questions
Standards-Aligned Activities on:
- Figurative Language
- Narrator and Point of View
- Elements of Plot
- Capitalization and Spelling
- Word Origins
- Context Clues
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Identifying Parts of Speech
- Shades of Meaning - Connotation/Denotation
- Dependent and Independent Clauses
- Verbs and Verb Tense Agreement
- Reading Review Crossword Puzzle
- Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzle
- Quizzes Every Three Chapters
- Two Final Test Versions, one entirely Multiple Choice
- Novel Summary
- List of Pre-Reading and Post-Reading Project Ideas and Activities
- Essay/Writing Ideas and Prompts
- Project and Response to Literature Rubrics
- Notes for the Teacher
- Complete Answer Key
Benjamin H. said: Did a novel study using this with 100+ sixth grade students. #LifeSaver This was seriously the best!