Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis novel unit - 88 pages of student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA in Literature for 5th through 7th grade.
Here's what Barbara C. said: This resource is flexible and includes just about every skill development aspect of reading you can think of. It includes prereading, historical context, author information, figurative language, note taking skills, vocabulary, individual reflection, symbolism, and parts of speech to mention a few. My fifth grade class had already started the book, so we took a step back and started to use the materials. They responded well and enjoyed the activities. Excellent resource which will create a more robust reading experience for the students. Great job!!
Steffanie W. said: This is an excellent guide to keep students challenged and engaged in the book. It also covers a variety of standards and is a great resource!! Promotes higher level thinking/questioning.
This Bud, Not Buddy Literature Guide includes:
- Author Biography and corresponding questions on author Christopher Paul Curtis (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.3; RI.7.1, RI.7.2, RI.7.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide Pre-Reading and Post-Reading reflection (SL.5.1, SL.5.4; SL.6.1; SL.7.1)
- Historical Context Notes and corresponding questions on The Great Depression (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.3; RI.7.1, RI.7.2, RI.7.3)
- Notes on the Elements of Fiction
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions (L.5.6, L.6.6, L.7.6)
- Defined list of Allusions and Terms found within the novel (L.5.6, L.6.6, L.7.6)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Charts, to encourage active reading and help students take notes on characters, events, write a summary of the chapter, and predict coming events (RL.5.2; RL.6.2; RL.7.2)
- Comprehension Check Questions (numerous standards addressed)
Specific Reading: Literature, Language, and Writing Standards-Aligned Activities on:
- Figurative Language (RL.5.4, L.5.5, L.5.5.A; RL.6.4, RL.7.4)
- Narrator and Point of View (RL.5.6; RL.6.6; RL.7.6)
- Elements of Plot (RL.5.5; RL.6.3; RL.7.3)
- Symbolism (RL.5.4, L.5.4.A, L.5.5.A; RL.6.4, L.6.4, L.6.4.A, L.6.5.A; RL.7.4, L.7.4, L.7.4.A, L.7.5.A)
- Punctuation (L.5.2, L.5.2.A; L.6.2; L.7.2)
- Capitalization and Spelling (L.5.2, L.5.2.E; L.6.2, L.6.2.B; L.7.2, L.7.2.B)
- Characterization (RL.5.2; RL.6.3; RL.7.3)
- Theme (RL.5.1, RL.5.2; RL.6.1, RL.6.2; RL.7.1, RL.7.2)
- Word Origins (L.5.4.B, L.5.4.C; L.6.4.B, L.6.4.C; L.7.4.B, L.7.4.C)
- Context Clues (L5.4.A; L.6.4.A; L.7.4.A)
- Synonyms and Antonyms (L.5.5.C; L.6.5.B; L.7.5.B)
- Identifying Parts of Speech (L.5.1; L.6.4.C; L.7.4.C)
- Shades of Meaning (RL.5.4, L.5.5; RL.6.4, L.6.5, L.6.5.C; RL.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.4.C)
- Connotation/Denotation (RL.5.4, L.5.5; RL.6.4, L.6.5, L.6.5.C; RL.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.4.C)
- Dependent and Independent Clauses (W.5.1.C, W.5.2.C, W.5.3.C; W.6.1.C, W.6.3.C; W.7.1.C, W.7.3.C, L.7.1.A, L.7.1.B, L.7.1.C)
- Verbs and Verb Tense Agreement (L.5.1.B, L.5.1.C, L.5.1.D)
- Reading Review Crossword Puzzle
- Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzle
- Quizzes Every Three Chapters
- Two Final Test Versions, one entirely Multiple Choice
- Novel Summary
- List of Pre-Reading (11) and Post-Reading (10) Project Ideas and Activities
- Essay/Writing Ideas and Prompts (6)
- Project and Response to Literature Rubrics
- Notes for the Teacher for teaching this Bud, Not Buddy unit
- Complete Answer Key
Benjamin H. said: Did a novel study using this with 100+ sixth grade students. #LifeSaver This was seriously the best!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.