This A Separate Peace 93-page Literature Guide includes activities, comprehension questions, quizzes, tests, and more, aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA as well as the NCTE/IRA National ELA Content Standards in English for grades 9-12. Designed for as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire, students will be able to self-direct their study in many cases, making it perfect for in-person or distance learning. Please note, however, that this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Here's what Jo Ann M. said about this A Separate Peach teacher guide: I used parts of this with my advanced 9th graders, and it went so well that this year, I am changing my lesson plans to use more of the activities. It was easy to follow and helped the students drill deeper into the text. Thanks!
Michelle H. said: This resource helped me so much in organizing and planning my novel study unit on A Separate Peace. The questions were appropriately rigorous and the activities hit all the important assessment items used in 11th grade English.
JENNIFER N. said: This resource is extremely thorough. I really appreciate how it incorporates both literature elements and grammar practice. I am currently using this for in-person instruction, but it would also be easily adapted to virtual.
This A Separate Peace Literature Guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Pre-Reading Activity: Thematic Literary Elements
- Author Biography: John Knowles with Comprehension Questions
- Informational Text - The Beginnings of World War with Comprehension Questions
- Informational Text - Dealing with Grief, Trauma, and Guilt with Comprehension Questions
- Allusions, Terminology, and Expressions
- Vocabulary Lists - with and without definitions
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Chart for each section
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions for each section
Literary Analysis skills practice on:
- Time and Text Structure
- Language and Tone
Language/Vocabulary skills practice on:
- Vocabulary in Context
- Spelling, Capitalization, and Punctuation
- Word Origins - Etymology
- Quizzes for each section
- Vocabulary Quizzes for each section
- Final Exam: Multiple Choice
- Vocabulary: Final Test
- Sample Agenda
- Notes for the Teacher
- Summary of the Novel
- Post-Reading Activities and Extension Activities
- Essay/Writing Ideas
- Journal Prompts
- Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Answer Key
Alexandra Stahlecker (TpT Seller) said: I've bought guides from Secondary Solutions before, and I love them! They are so full of different worksheets and activities, that I don't have to worry about my students not having anything to do. Love it!