Cynthia Lord's Rules 123-page Common Core Aligned Literature Guide for teaching this charming and poignant novel in grades 4-5. You can be assured that you are teaching the ELA Common Core Standards for grades 4-5 with this Literature Guide full of both student and teacher materials. Fully reproducible, this Guide includes worksheets, activities, handouts, quizzes, tests, and more for teaching literary analysis skills using time-tested best practices.
Katie A said: Worth. Every. Penny!!!! I can't thank you enough for creating such a thorough resource!
This Rules Literature Guide includes (specific standards addressed are in parentheses):
- Pre-Reading Activities and Ideas List (numerous CCSS addressed)
- Pre-Reading Activity: Rules in Your Life (RL.4.9, SL.4.1; RL.59, SL.5.1)
- Building Background Knowledge Article: Autism (RI.4.1, RI.4.2, RI.4.3, RI.4.4; RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.4)
- Vocabulary List with and without Definitions (RL.4.4, L.4.4; RL.5.4, L.5.4)
- Note Taking Graphic Organizer for each set of Rules (RL.4.1, RL.4.2, RL.4.3, W.4.4, W.4.5; RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3, RL.5.5)
- Chapter Questions (numerous CCSS addressed)
- Literature Focus activities (which focus on specific standards from Grades 4 and 5 CCSS Reading: Literature):
- Who's Telling the Story? (RL.4.6; RL.5.6, W.5.1)
- Story Structure (RL.4.5, W.4.9; RL.5.5, W.5.9)
- Drawing Inferences (RL.4.1, RL.4.3, W.4.1; RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3)
- All About Details (L.4.5, L.4.6, W.4.3, W.4.5; W.5.4, W.5.5, W.5.6, W.5.3)
- Powerful Language (RL.4.4, L.4.4, L.4.5; RL.5.4, L.5.4, L.5.5, L.5.6)
- Flat and Round Characters (RL.4.1, RL.4.3; RL.5.2, RL.5.3)
- Determining Theme (Rl.4.1, RL.4.2; RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.9)
Holly N. said: Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! So many ideas, wish I had time for everything!!
- Language Focus activities (which focus on specific standards from Grades 4 and 5 CCSS Reading: Language):
- Figurative Language (L.4.5, L.4.6; L.5.4)
- Using Precise Language (L.4.5, L.4.6; W.4.3, W.4.4; L.5.5, L.5.6, W.5.4)
- Supporting Your Opinion (W.4.1; W.5.1)
- Sensory Details (W.4.3, W.4.4; W.5.2, W.5.4)
- Using Prepositional Phrases (RL.4.4, L.4.4, L.4.5; L.5.1)
- Using Dashes and Ellipses (L.4.3; L.5.2, L.5.3)
- Quotation Marks (L.4.2, L.4.3; L.5.2, L.5.3)
- Quizzes on each Section
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Two test versions - one entirely Multiple Choice
- Essay and Writing Ideas List (numerous CCSS addressed)
- Post-Reading and Alternative Assessments (numerous CCSS addressed)
- Teacher Agenda and Notes
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Spelling Lists
- Summary of the Novel
- Complete Answer Key
Jessica R. said: This novel study was one of the best we did this year. My students were engaged and really enjoyed the novel. The only problem was they kept reading ahead to see what happens. The worksheets to accompany the novel were well set up and had everything we needed for the trimester grades.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.