Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave Teaching Unit is written using time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, Grades 6-8. This fully reproducible Guide has everything you need, including Literature, Writing, and Language Standards- Focused Activities, Chapter Questions, Quizzes, Tests, complete Teacher’s Guide and Resources, Pre-Reading and Post-Reading Ideas and Activities, Related Informational Articles and Activities, and more!
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
- Reading: Informational Focus articles and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on
- The Genre of Historical Narrative
- History of Slavery Around the World
- Slavery in the Modern World
- Biography of Frederick Douglass
- Pre-Reading Anticipation/Reaction Guide
- Active Reading Guide: Note-Taking and Summarizing
- Reading Comprehension and Literary Analysis Questions
- Vocabulary Lists: one with, and one without definitions (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
- Comprehensive defined list of Allusions and Terminology (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
Here's what Shayna H. said: Fantastic product. Easy to use, easy for students to understand, yet thorough coverage of the book. Highly recommended!
CCSS: Informational Focus lessons:
- Impact of Word Choice ( RI.6.4, RI.6.6, L.6.5; RI.7.4; RI.8.4)
- Assessing a Narrative (RI.6.2, RI.6.3; RI.7.2, RI.7.3, RI.8.3 )
- Text Structure and Organization ( RI.6.3, RI.6.5, RI.6.8; RI.7.5, RI.7.8; RI.8.5, RI.8.8)
- Analyzing Argument and Point of View (RI.6.6; RI.7.6; RI.8.6)
- Identifying Theme and Central Idea (RI.6.2; RI.7.2; RI.8.2)
- Poetry (RI.7.5, RI.8.5)
- CCSS Reading: Literature Focus on Poetry (RL.7.5, RL.8.6)
- CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including:
- The Power of Words ( W.6.4, W.6.10; W.7.4, W.7.10; W.8.10)
- Using Precise Language (W.6.2.D; W.7.2.D, L.7.3.A; W.8.2.D)
- Writing Persuasively (W.6.1, W.6.1.B; W.7.1, W.7.1.B; W.8.1, W.8.1.B)
- Writing Informational and Explanatory Texts (W.6.1, W.6.2, W.6.2.A, W.6.5; W.7.1, W.7.2, W.7.2.A, W.7.5; W.8.1, W.8.2, W.8.2.A, W.8.5)
- Research Project (W.6.4, W.6.5, W.6.6, W.6.7; W.7.4, W.7.5, W.7.6, W.7.7; W.8.5, W.8.6, W.8.7, W.8.8)
Chenethia Brown said: Absolutely love this resource! It is a great start as a first time novel study of this book.
- CCSS Speaking and Listening Focus on a Research Project (SL.6.1.A, SL.6.1.B; SL.7.1.A, SL.7.1.B, SL.7.4, SL.8.1.A, SL.8.1.B, SL.8.4)
- CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons on The Power of Words ( L.6.5.C, L.7.5.C, L.8.4, L.8.5.C) and Using Precise Language (L.6.3.A; L.7.3.A ; L.8.1.B, L.8.1.C, L.8.1.D)
- Reaching Quizzes
- Two Final Exams, one entirely multiple choice
- Final Vocabulary Exam
- List of Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- List of Essay Prompts and Creative Writing Ideas
- Teacher Guide, including:
- Sample Teacher Agenda
- Notes to the Teacher
- Letter to Parents
- Summary of the Novel
- Persuasive Writing Rubric
- Informational and Explanatory Texts Rubric
- Presentation Rubric
- Two Project Rubrics
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.
The content is excellent, but it's all over Quizz.com and quizlet.com.
So, basically this is a WASTE OF MONEY because the students get all the answers online and don't do any work on their own.