Cynthia Lord's Rules 123-page Common Core Aligned Literature Guide for teaching this charming and poignant novel in grades 4-5. You can be assured that you are teaching the ELA Common Core Standards for grades 4-5 with this Literature Guide full of both student and teacher materials. Fully reproducible, this Guide includes worksheets, activities, handouts, quizzes, tests, and more for teaching literary analysis skills using time-tested best practices.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Katie A said: Worth. Every. Penny!!!! I can't thank you enough for creating such a thorough resource!
Designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
This Rules Literature Guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Activities and Ideas List (numerous CCSS addressed)
- Pre-Reading Activity: Rules in Your Life (RL.4.9, SL.4.1; RL.59, SL.5.1)
- Building Background Knowledge Article: Autism (RI.4.1, RI.4.2, RI.4.3, RI.4.4; RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.4)
- Vocabulary List with and without Definitions (RL.4.4, L.4.4; RL.5.4, L.5.4)
- Note Taking Graphic Organizer for each set of Rules (RL.4.1, RL.4.2, RL.4.3, W.4.4, W.4.5; RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3, RL.5.5)
- Chapter Questions (numerous CCSS addressed)
- Literature Focus activities (which focus on specific standards from Grades 4 and 5 CCSS Reading: Literature):
- Who's Telling the Story? (RL.4.6; RL.5.6, W.5.1)
- Story Structure (RL.4.5, W.4.9; RL.5.5, W.5.9)
- Drawing Inferences (RL.4.1, RL.4.3, W.4.1; RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3)
- All About Details (L.4.5, L.4.6, W.4.3, W.4.5; W.5.4, W.5.5, W.5.6, W.5.3)
- Powerful Language (RL.4.4, L.4.4, L.4.5; RL.5.4, L.5.4, L.5.5, L.5.6)
- Flat and Round Characters (RL.4.1, RL.4.3; RL.5.2, RL.5.3)
- Determining Theme (Rl.4.1, RL.4.2; RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.9)
Holly N. said: Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! So many ideas, wish I had time for everything!!
- Language Focus activities (which focus on specific standards from Grades 4 and 5 CCSS Reading: Language):
- Figurative Language (L.4.5, L.4.6; L.5.4)
- Using Precise Language (L.4.5, L.4.6; W.4.3, W.4.4; L.5.5, L.5.6, W.5.4)
- Supporting Your Opinion (W.4.1; W.5.1)
- Sensory Details (W.4.3, W.4.4; W.5.2, W.5.4)
- Using Prepositional Phrases (RL.4.4, L.4.4, L.4.5; L.5.1)
- Using Dashes and Ellipses (L.4.3; L.5.2, L.5.3)
- Quotation Marks (L.4.2, L.4.3; L.5.2, L.5.3)
- Quizzes on each Section
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Two test versions - one entirely Multiple Choice
- Essay and Writing Ideas List (numerous CCSS addressed)
- Post-Reading and Alternative Assessments (numerous CCSS addressed)
- Teacher Agenda and Notes
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Spelling Lists
- Summary of the Novel
- Complete Answer Key
Jessica R. said: This novel study was one of the best we did this year. My students were engaged and really enjoyed the novel. The only problem was they kept reading ahead to see what happens. The worksheets to accompany the novel were well set up and had everything we needed for the trimester grades.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.