Of Mice and Men 119-page Literature Guide bundle of student coursework, quizzes, tests, and more. Classroom-tested by over 1,600 teachers, with a 4.9/5 Rating! Please note that this product is a printable PDF and
Here's what customers are saying:
I LOVED this resource. I found it very thorough when going through this book and especially loved the vocabulary. Great strategies for test-taking. - Kelli A.
This unit was exactly what I was looking for. As always, your units are skill-based and thoughtfully planned out. The assignments worked great with my college prep class. - Maori Montessori
Simply Novel continues to provide excellent study guide resources for most of the novels I teach. This was no exception. It was my first time to teach OMM...and it went splendidly! Looking forward to teaching it again this year. - The Contrary Teacher
This is by far the very best item I have ever purchased on TPT. This is a complete guide for any teacher to use and includes a WEALTH of material as well as answers. As a new teacher this has saved me more time and distress than anything else I have purchased on this site and was well worth every penny. Due to the volume of ideas and the alignment to common core standards, I expect this product would be a great value to more experienced teachers, as well. I loved this so much I purchased another Simply Novel product, on The Great Gatsby, from them. I hope more of the novels for high school will be in their product line. - Amy J.
This Of Mice and Men Guide includes:
- Sample Agenda and Teacher's Notes
- One-Page Handout on the Elements of Fiction
- Biography and Comprehension Check Questions on author John Steinbeck
- Historical context article and questions on The Great Depression
- Historical context article and questions on Migrant Workers of California
- Elements of Fiction and prediction activity
- Glossary of Allusions and Terminology from the novel
- Glossary of Idioms and Expressions from the novel
- Vocabulary lists with and without definitions by chapter
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity introducing themes
- Anticipation/Reaction Pre-Reading and Post-Reading Reflection
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Charts for each chapter
- Comprehension Check questions for each chapter
- Standards-focused Literary Analysis activities on:
- Analyzing Poetry (the Robert Burns poem "To a Mouse")
- Recognizing Vivid Details
- Conflict and Effect
- Character and Character Types
- Standards-focused Vocabulary and Grammar exercises, covering
- Word Analysis
- Word Origins
- Determining Parts of Speech
- Word Roots
- Understanding Vocabulary in Context
- Quizzes on each chapter
- Vocabulary Quizzes on each chapter (matching)
- Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzles
- Final Test (matching, multiple choice, short response)
- Final Test (multiple choice and short response)
- Final Vocabulary Test (matching)
- Summary of the Novel
- List of suggested Pre-Reading Activities for the novel
- List of Post-Reading Cross-Curricular Activities
- List of Essay and Creative Writing Prompts and Ideas
- Project Rubrics
- Answer Key
Mary Feagley (TpT Seller) said: Simply Novel continues to provide excellent study guide resources for most of the novels I teach. This was no exception. It was my first time to teach OMM...and it went splendidly! Looking forward to teaching it again this year.
Katharine M. said: This resource is amazing. I am so excited to use this for the next unit in my College Prep English 3 class. I feel like it will do this novella justice and challenge my students. Thank you so much for this wonderful resource. It is very extensive and thorough.
All the items in this packet are so useful. I like that there are exercises that go beyond basic comprehension.
This teacher's guide to accompany the student text is highly recommended because of its wide variety of scaffolded activities. It covers all aspects of reading, writing, speaking, and listening in the ELA class and also offers suggested student assignments to supplement the daily work. The book is easy to use, straightforward, and affordable. The work provided in this guide facilitates student understanding of challenging literature by giving the teacher a strong selection of tasks to utilize in different kinds of English language arts classes.