Number the Stars 124-page unit includes ready-to-go activities, handouts, comprehension and analysis questions, quizzes, tests, and more - aligned to grades 5 and 6 Common Core Standards.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
This Number the Stars Literature Guide includes:
Here's what Dana T. said about this Number the Stars unit: I LOVED this resource. A bit pricey, but it was packed with so many useful items. Worth it!
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions throughout
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Guide for active note-taking during reading
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity: What is Bravery?
- Pre-Reading Activity: Sorting Literature into Genres (RL 5.10; RL 6.9, RL 6.10)
- Informational Focus: Historical Context – Hitler’s Plan, followed by CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.8, RI.5.10; RI.6.1, RI.6.3, RI.6.10)
- Informational Focus: The Star of David followed by CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.10; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.7, RI.6.10)
- Author Biography: Lois Lowry, followed by corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.8; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.8)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with, and one without definitions (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Allusions and Terminology (L.5.6; L.6.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus activities and lessons, including
- Fact vs. Fiction (RL 5.2; RL 6.2)
- Setting (RL.5.3; RL.6.3)
- Character Compare & Contrast (RL.5.3)
- Figurative Language (RL.5.4, L.5.5.A; RL.6.4, L.6.5.A)
- Using Textual Evidence (RL.5.1; RL.6.1)
- Point of View (RL 5.6, RL.6.6)
- Theme (RL 5.2; RL 6.2)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including
- Stating Your Opinion and Gathering Details (W.5.1.A, W.5.1.B; W.6.1.A, W.6.1.B)
- The Introduction & Organization (W.5.2.A, W.5.2.C: W.6.2.A, W.6.2.C)
- Conclusions and Revisions (W.5.1.D, W.5.10; W.6.1.E, W.6.10)
- Researching New Questions (W.5.2, W.5.2.B, W.5.7, W.5.8; W.6.5, W.6.2.B, W.6.7, W.6.8)
- Drawing Conclusions from Research (W.5.2, W.5.2.B, W.5.7, W.5.8; W.6.2, W.6.2.B, W.6.7)
- Putting Your Research Together (W.5.2, W.5.2A, W.5.2B, W.5.7, W.5.8, W.5.10; W.6.2, W.6.2.B, W.6.7, W.6.10).
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including
- Commas (L.5.2.A-C; L 6.2)
- The Function of Conjunctions (L.5.1.A, L.5.1.E)
- Pronouns (L.6.1A-C)
- Perfect Tense (L.5.1.B)
- Misused Verbs – Lay and Lie (L 5.1D)
- Vocabulary Acquisition and Use (L.5.4.A-C; L.6.4.A-C)
Here's what Catherine L. said: I just started teaching sixth grade and I was nervous that I wouldn't teach reading well enough. This guide is wonderful and couldn't be more thorough. Very helpful.
- Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzles
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes
- Two Final Test versions - one multiple choice
- List of Post-Reading and Alternative Assessment Ideas
- List of various Essay and Writing prompts and ideas
- Teacher Guide with:
- Teacher Agenda
- Project Rubric
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for this Literature Guide to Grades 5 and 6 CCSS