SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Number the Stars. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Number the Stars 124-page unit includes ready-to-go activities, handouts, comprehension and analysis questions, quizzes, tests, and more - aligned to grades 5 and 6 Common Core Standards.
Here's what Dana T. said about this Number the Stars unit: I LOVED this resource. A bit pricey, but it was packed with so many useful items. Worth it!
This Number the Stars novel unit has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is fully aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 5 and 6. Recommended for whole class novel study, but can also be used for small groups, book clubs, literature groups, etc.
Donna H. said: I have taught this novel for over a decade and had gathered vast resources over the years to teach it. I needed a more common core approach to the novel in order for it to beneficial to my students. I know this is a little pricey, but it is money well spent. I reduced the pages and made it into a very manageable workbook for my student to use as we read the novel. My kids loved the novel and I loved the new resources.
This Number the Stars Literature Guide includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions throughout
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Guide for active note-taking during reading
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity: What is Bravery?
- Pre-Reading Activity: Sorting Literature into Genres (RL 5.10; RL 6.9, RL 6.10)
- Informational Focus: Historical Context – Hitler’s Plan, followed by CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.8, RI.5.10; RI.6.1, RI.6.3, RI.6.10)
- Informational Focus: The Star of David followed by CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.10; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.7, RI.6.10)
- Author Biography: Lois Lowry, followed by corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.8; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.8)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with, and one without definitions (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Allusions and Terminology (L.5.6; L.6.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus activities and lessons, including
- Fact vs. Fiction (RL 5.2; RL 6.2)
- Setting (RL.5.3; RL.6.3)
- Character Compare & Contrast (RL.5.3)
- Figurative Language (RL.5.4, L.5.5.A; RL.6.4, L.6.5.A)
- Using Textual Evidence (RL.5.1; RL.6.1)
- Point of View (RL 5.6, RL.6.6)
- Theme (RL 5.2; RL 6.2)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including
- Stating Your Opinion and Gathering Details (W.5.1.A, W.5.1.B; W.6.1.A, W.6.1.B)
- The Introduction & Organization (W.5.2.A, W.5.2.C: W.6.2.A, W.6.2.C)
- Conclusions and Revisions (W.5.1.D, W.5.10; W.6.1.E, W.6.10)
- Researching New Questions (W.5.2, W.5.2.B, W.5.7, W.5.8; W.6.5, W.6.2.B, W.6.7, W.6.8)
- Drawing Conclusions from Research (W.5.2, W.5.2.B, W.5.7, W.5.8; W.6.2, W.6.2.B, W.6.7)
- Putting Your Research Together (W.5.2, W.5.2A, W.5.2B, W.5.7, W.5.8, W.5.10; W.6.2, W.6.2.B, W.6.7, W.6.10).
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including
- Commas (L.5.2.A-C; L 6.2)
- The Function of Conjunctions (L.5.1.A, L.5.1.E)
- Pronouns (L.6.1A-C)
- Perfect Tense (L.5.1.B)
- Misused Verbs – Lay and Lie (L 5.1D)
- Vocabulary Acquisition and Use (L.5.4.A-C; L.6.4.A-C)
- Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzles
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes
- Two Final Test versions - one multiple choice
- List of Post-Reading and Alternative Assessment Ideas
- List of various Essay and Writing prompts and ideas
- Teacher Guide with:
- Teacher Agenda
- Project Rubric
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for this Literature Guide to Grades 5 and 6 CCSS
Here's what Catherine L. said: I just started teaching sixth grade and I was nervous that I wouldn't teach reading well enough. This guide is wonderful and couldn't be more thorough. Very helpful.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.