Number the Stars novel study unit includes 124 pages of ready-to-go activities, handouts, comprehension questions, literary analysis activities, language and grammar practice, writing skills activities, quizzes, tests, and more! Students will be able to self-direct their study in many cases, making it perfect for in-person or distance learning. Please note, however, that this product is a printable PDF and will need modification for use in Google Classroom. Classroom-tested by over 1,000 teachers with a 4.9/5 Rating!
Here's what Casey Z. said:
This novel guide was wonderful! I was worried since I hadn't spent that much money on a resource, but it is 100% worth it. There are quality background activities, the chapter questions are good, and the extension activities are fantastic! It was perfect to be able to practice language and writing skills while still connecting them to our story. Highly recommend!
Anne I. said:
Absolutely love Simply Novel! I have purchased a few of their novel studies and love the set up of comprehension questions, vocabulary and assessments!!
Marcelene K said:
This unit covered so much more than simple comprehension questions and vocabulary practice. Many questions were designed to get students to use quotations, or to cite textual evidence. Other questions asked students to make inferences, one of our essential standards. In addition, two writing projects were included. The first was an opinion essay and the second was a research paper.
In this comprehensive Number the Stars Complete Novel Study you'll get:
Texts and Pre-Reading Activities to engage students and to support and introduce themes and genre before reading
*Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
*Pre-Reading Activity - Sorting Literature By Genre
*Author Biography with questions on Lois Lowry
*Informational Text - Historical Context -- Hitler's Plan
*Informational Text - The Star of David
*Vocabulary Lists, with and without definitions
*Allusions and Terminology List
*Note-Taking and Summarizing Organizers
Novel-based Literary Analysis Activities that support student practice in text analysis and close reading and dig deeper into the text, specifically, activities on:
- Fact vs. Fiction
- Character Compare and Contrast
- Figurative Language
- Using Textual Evidence
- Point of View
- Sorting Fact from Fiction
Novel-based Language and Grammar Worksheets, specifically on:
- The Function of Conjunctions
- Perfect Tense
- Misused Verbs -- Lay and Lie
- Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Novel-based Writing Skills Practice, specifically on:
- Stating Your Opinion and Gathering Details
- The Introduction and Organization
- Conclusions and Revisions
- Researching New Questions
- Drawing Conclusions from Research
- Putting Your Research Together
*Comprehension Questions PLUS all Questions in Task Card Format!
*Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzles
*35-Question Final Test that includes multiple-choice and short response questions
*35-Question Multiple Choice Final Test
*Post-Reading Ideas and Alternative Assessment Activities List
*Essay Prompts and Creative Writing Ideas
*Sample Teacher Agenda
*Project & Writing Rubrics
*Complete Answer Key
*Common Core Alignment Documentation
Here's what teachers are saying about this Number the Stars Teaching Guide:
- This was an amazing resource to use in my student's reading journals. They were highly engaged and this resource met so many standards. This resource really encouraged deeper thinking. -Shades and Grades Teacher
- I just started teaching sixth grade and I was nervous that I wouldn't teach reading well enough. This guide is wonderful and couldn't be more thorough. Very helpful. - Catherine L.
- I love the literature units from Simply Novel. They are so well-written and take a lot of the guesswork out of planning. I love that they include well-written questions that are more thought-provoking than simple comprehension questions. I also love that the unit comes with grammar, writing, and literature all built into one product. It has been awesome! - Mandi B.
- This is a very good novel study! Students are working very hard finding evidence ad close reading! Makes them dig deep! - Carrie N.
- Excellent unit! Made teaching Number the Stars so much easier with all of the great resources! - Katherine M.
Hello i love this book i was wondering if you could make more like this my school reads this book it is very interesting and I really like it Thank you from your friend Chelsey
I have been teaching this novel for years and have collected a lot of resources for it. This resource is definitely in the top two! I highly recommend it. I was able to jigsaw some pre-reading activities and have students work in groups and then present. Questions cover a large range of depth and complexity. I was easily able to use make this digital for my students who were remote. This resource is now the resource I use most for my unit.