SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Maniac Magee. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Maniac Magee 173-page Literature Guide includes student coursework, quizzes, tests, and teacher resources, aligned with 6th through 8th grade English / Language Arts Common Core content standards.
Katherine M. said: I LOVE this resource! I have used several other Simply Novel units for books I teach. They are excellent resources! The unit is well organized, easy to use, and hits common core standards. I cannot say enough good things about the Maniac Magee Unit.
Jennifer T. said: Loved this resource!! Extremely well thought out and full of a wide variety of reading elements to study besides just comprehension. You really do not need any other novel source with this available!
This Maniac Magee bundle has the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself! Your students will walk away with a love, enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing.
This Maniac Magee novel unit includes:
- Notes and Activity on the Elements of Fiction
- Reading and activity on author Jerry Spinelli (RI.6.1, RI.6.7; RI.7.1; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Pre-Reading Activity (RL.6.2; RL.7.2; RL.8.2)
- Historical Context reading and activity on Segregation and the Civil Rights Movement (RI.6.1, RI.6.7; RI.7.1; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Complete list of Allusions and Terminology, defined (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
- Vocabulary lists both with and without definitions (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
- Active Reading/Note-Taking Guide (RL.6.1, RL.6.2; RL.7.1, RL.7.2; RL.8.1, RL.8.2)
- Comprehension Check Study Guide questions for each section (numerous standards addressed)
- Reading: Literature standards-aligned activities on
- Figurative Language (RL.6.4, L.6.5.A; RL.7.4; RL.8.4, RL.8.9)
- Setting (RL.7.3)
- Descriptive Language (RL.6.4, L.6.5.A; RL.7.4; RL.8.4, RL.8.9)
- Conflict (L.6.1, RL.6.3; RL.7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Imagery (RL.6.4, L.6.5; RL.7.4, L.7.5; RL.8.3, RL.8.4)
- Elements of Style (RL.6.4; RL.7.4, L.7.3.A, RL.8.4, L.8.5)
- Theme (Rl.6.2, RL.6.3; RL.7.2, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Character Development (RL.6.1, RL.6.3; RL.7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Elements of Plot (Rl.6.2, RL.6.3; RL.7.2, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Language CCSS aligned activities on
- Hyphen, Colon, and Semi-Colon
- Vocabulary in Context (L.6.4.A; L.7.4.A; L.8.4.A)
- Identifying Parts of Speech (L.6.4.B, L.6.4.C; L.7.4.B, L.7.4.C; L.8.4.B, L.8.4.C)
- Synonyms and Antonyms (L.7.5.B; L8.5.B)
- Verb Tense and Agreement (L.6.1, L.6.1.C; L.7.1; L.8.1.B, L.8.1.D)
- Word Origins--Etymology (L.6.4.B, L.6.4.C; L.7.4.B, L.7.4.C; L.8.4.B, L.8.4.C)
- Sentence Structure (L.6.3.A; L.7.3.A; L.8.3.A, L.8.3.B)
- Capitalization, Spelling and Grammar (L.6.2; L.7.2; L.8.2)
- Vocabulary Extension (L.6.4.A; L.7.4.A; L.8.4.A)
- Special Social Issues informational texts and questions or activities on
- Juvenile Runaways (RI.6.1, RI.6.5, RI.6.7; RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Bullying (RI.6.1, RI.6.5, RI.6.7; RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Prejudice and Racism (RI.6.1, RI.6.5, RI.6.7; RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Illiteracy (RI.6.1, RI.6.5, RI.6.7; RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Homelessness (RI.6.1, RI.6.5, RI.6.7; RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Reading Quizzes for each section (3-5 chapters)
- Vocabulary Quizzes every 10 chapters
- Part I, Part II, Part II Tests
- Two Final Test versions--one entirely multiple choice
- Novel Summary
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities (numerous standards addressed)
- Post-Reading Ideas and Activities (numerous standards addressed)
- Alternative Assessment (numerous standards addressed)
- Essay and Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Sample Agenda, including special notes for teaching
- Complete Answer Key
Tracey L said: Super intensive! I adored what amount was there! The children got much more of the book as a result of it.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.