James and the Giant Peach 113-page Literature Guide for Roald Dahl's classic contains ready-to-go worksheets, activities, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA for 3rd and 4th grades.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
This CCSS-Aligned James and the Giant Peach Literature Guide includes (Common Core Standard addressed is in parentheses):
Valerie R. said: Super product. Amazingly in-depth. I love how they analyze passages from the book.
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Pre-Reading Activity: Science Connection - Researching Bugs (W.3.7, W.3.8, W.4.7, W.4.8)
- Article and Comprehension Check Questions on the genres of Adventure and Fantasy (RI.3.1, RI.3.2; RI.4.1, RI.4.2)
- Article and Questions on Roald Dahl (RI.3.1, RI.3.2, RI.4.1, RI. 4.2)
- Vocabulary Lists with and without definitions
- Active Reading Guide for Note-Taking (RL.3.1, RL.3.2, RL.4.1, RL.4.2)
- Chapter Questions located throughout, focusing on numerous and varied Reading: Literature CCSS
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus activities and lessons, including specific activities on:
- Setting (RL.4.3)
- Poetry (RL.4.5)
- Character Traits (RL.3.3; RL.4.3)
- Writing a Summary (RL.3.2; RL.4.2)
- Inferences (RL.3.1, RL.4.1)
- Connecting the Book and the Movie (RL.4.7)
Sandra M. said: I began this unit with my 4th graders this past week. They LOVE it and I LOVE all of the resources! I won't have time to use all of them, but it is certainly a time-saver to have these quality resources at my fingertips to use when needed! I plan to do more novel studies next year and will definitely purchase from you. You are very thorough and cover all subjects nicely! Thank you!
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including
- Adverbs (L.3.1.A, L.3.1.G)
- Commonly Confused Words (L.3.2.F, L.4.1.G)
- Progressive Verb Tenses (L.3.1.A, L.4.1.B)
- Helping Verbs (L.3.1.A, L.3.1.D, L.3.1.E; L.4.1.B, L.4.1.C)
- Adjectives (L.3.1.A, L.3.1.G)
- Prepositions (L.4.1.E)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons on •Narrative Writing (W.3.3, W.4.3)
- Concrete Words and Phrases (W.3.3; W.4.3, W.4.3.D)
- Using Technology to Create an Acrostic Poem (W.3.4, W.3.6; W.4.4, W.4.6)
- Writing a Summary (W.3.4; W.4.4, W.4.9)
- Informational Writing, (W.3.2, W.3.2.A-D; W.3.7; W.4.2, W.4.2.A-D, W.4.7)
- Writing an Opinion Piece (W.3.1, W.3.1.A-D; W.4.1, W.4.1.A-D, W.4.9)
- Reading Chapter Quizzes
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final Test options for differentiation
- Final Test #1: 25 questions at mid- and high-level questioning, mid- and high-level rigor
- Final Test #2: 25 questions, completely Multiple Choice at low-level of questioning and low-level rigor
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Creative Writing Prompts
- Teacher Agenda, including notes resources about this Guide
- Summary of the Book
- Rubric for assessing Narrative Writing
- General Writing Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for Grades 3-4
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.
Judy L. said: Excellent resource! We started this last week and my kids have absolutely loved all the pre reading activities and author activities!