SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Island of the Blue Dolphins. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Island of the Blue Dolphins 163-page Common Core State Standards Aligned Literature Guide for Scott O'Dell's classic! Aligned to CCSS for grades 5 and 6, this Island of the Blue Dolphins Bundled Lesson Literature Guide is sure to have everything you could want to address the Common Core Standards in your teaching!
Sharilyn M. said: Fantastic resource for Island of the Blue Dolphins Unit. Saved me so much time!
This Island of the Blue Dolphins Literature Guide includes (specific standards addressed are in parentheses):
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List (covers numerous and varied CCSS)
- Author Biography: Scott O’Dell, followed by corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.8; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.8)
- Pre-Reading Activity: Visualization (RL.5.10; RL.6.9, RL.6.10)
- Informational Focus: Exploring Grief and Loss, followed by CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.8, RI.5.10; RI.6.1, RI.6.3, RI.6.10)
- Informational Focus: Exploitation followed by CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.10; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.7, RI.6.10)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with, and one without definitions (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Active Reading Guide for Note-Taking for each section (covers numerous and varied CCSS)
- Chapter Questions for each section (covers numerous and varied CCSS)
PEARL J. said: I already purchased "Anne Frank" last year and knew I'd get more for this school year. Not disappointed at all. Grammar, writing, reading, and more are covered. I feel the students enjoy a break from using their textbooks to use this instead.
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus activities and lessons, including:
- Elements of Plot (RL.5.5; RL.6.3, RL.6.5)
- Point of View (RL.5.6; RL.6.6)
- Making Inferences (RL.5.1; RL.6.1)
- Metaphors and Similes (RL.5.4; L.6.5.A)
- Cause and Effect (RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3; RL.6.1, RL.6.3, RL.6.5)
- Theme (RL.5.2; RL.6.2)
- Compare and Contrast Characters (RL.5.2, RL.5.3; RL.6.3, RL.6.6)
- Denotation/Connotation (RL.5.4; RL.6.4)
- Compare and Contrast Settings (RL.5.3; RL.6.3)
- Summarizing (RL.5.2; RL.6.2)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including:
- Transition Words (W.5.1.C, W.5.2.C, W.5.3.C; W.6.1.C, W.6.2.C, W.6.3.C)
- Writing Inferences (Rl.5.1, W.5.3.D; RL.6.1, W.6.3.D)
- Narrative Writing (W.5.3; W.6.3)
- Summarizing (RL.5.2, W.5.4, W.5.8; RL.6.2, W.6.4, W.6.8)
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including:
- Vocabulary in Context (L.5.4.A; L.6.4.A)
- Word Choice (L.5.3, L.5.4.C, L.5.5; L.6.3, L.6.3.A, L.6.4.D)
- Pronouns (L.6.1.A-C)
- Metaphors and Similes (L.5.5.A; L.6.5.A)
- Subject/Verb Agreement (L.5.1.C, L.5.1.D)
- Sentence Fragments (L.5.3.A; L.6.3.A)
- Perfect Tenses (L.5.1.B)
- Denotation/Connotation (L.5.5; L.6.5.C)
- Using a Dictionary (L.5.4.C; L.6.4.C, L.6.5.D)
- Reading Quizzes for each section
- Vocabulary Quizzes for each section
- Two Final Exams - one Multiple Choice version
- Teacher Resources, including:
- Sample Agenda
- Notes to the Teacher
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Summary of the Novel
- Answer Key
Bonny Einstein said: This is truly amazing and worth every cent. Thank you for your efforts!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.