This bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Frankenstein. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
Frankenstein 161-page novel unit aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts for grades 11-12. Everything you've ever needed in a unit plan for teaching Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is in this Guide!
Here's what Emily Sales said: This is perhaps, the best resource I have ever purchased on Tpt. It is a thorough, yet rigorous unit that delves into standards-based close readings. Each grouping of chapters comes with a note-taking guide for students, comprehension check, quiz, CCSS lesson, and language activity. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
This Frankenstein Literature Guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List (numerous standards addressed)
- Pre-Reading Activity exploring Biological Scientific Research (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- List of writing prompts/journal topics for each chapter (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.9; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.9)
- Author Biography and corresponding questions (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Historical Context activities on both Romanticism and the Gothic/Science Fiction Novel and Mythology (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Glossary of Allusions, Terminology, and Expressions from the novel (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary List with and without definitions (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing activities for each chapter or section (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, W.9-10.4; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, W.11-12.9)
- Comprehension Check/Study Guide questions for each chapter (numerous standards addressed)
- Reading: Literature standards-focused activities on:
- Mood and Tone (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Character Interactions (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Literary Archetypes (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.9)
- Imagery (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Foreshadowing (RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Symbolism (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Philosophical and Political Approaches to the Novel (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RI.9-10.8, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.8 W.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.8)
- Point of View (RL.9-10.6; RL.11-12.6)
- Characterization (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Historical Themes and Issues (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RI.9-10.8, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.8 W.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.8)
- Theme (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Language and Writing standards-based activities on:
- Vocabulary in Context (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.3, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4)
- Spelling, Punctuation and Capitalization (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.2; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.2)
- Verb Tense (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.3; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.3)
- Precise Word Choice (RL.9-10.4, W.9-10.4, L.9-10.1, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.3, L.11-12.5)
- Complements (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, L.9-10.1, L.9-10.3; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, L.11-12.1, L.11-12.3)
- Word Origins-Etymology (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Base Words/Root Words/Affixes (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Sentence Structure (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.10, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.3; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5)
- Analogies (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.5, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5, L.11-12.6)
- Reading Quizzes every set of chapters
- Two Final Exam Versions--one entirely Multiple Choice
- Teacher Guide including Notes for teaching the novel
- Summary of the novel
- Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment (numerous standards addressed)
- Essay and Writing Ideas/Prompts (numerous standards addressed)
- Project and Essay Rubrics
- Complete Answer Key
This Guide has been aligned to the Barnes & Noble Classics Edition, ISBN 978-1-59308-005-1, ©2003.
Lucerito S. said: I first purchased The Scarlet Letter bundle and instantly became a fan of Secondary Solutions' products. That is why I purchased this Frankenstein Literature Guide. I have been teaching Frankenstein for a couple of years now, but having this Common Core aligned unit allowed me to really embed more standards effectively into the reading. This unit is well worth the money. They really thought about everything when developing this unit. Let me not forget to mention that the answer keys were extremely helpful!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.