SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 116-page Literature Guide for Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl includes ready-to-go worksheets, handouts, lessons, activities, quizzes, tests, projects, and more. Everything you could want in one comprehensive Common Core Standards-Aligned Guide.
This Simply Novel Teacher Guide for Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 6, 7, and 8. Please note: This Literature Guide is designed to accompany the memoir, not the play version of Anne Frank.
Here's what Tammy W. said about this Anne Frank unit: I used this with my 8th graders last year. I loved the huge amount of materials in this unit! My students came away with a deeper understanding of this text.
This Common Core Standards-Aligned Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl Literature Guide includes (specific standards addressed are in parentheses):
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Active Reading Guide: Note-Taking and Summarizing
- Comprehension and Analysis questions for each set of chapters
CCSS Reading: Informational Focus articles and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on:
- The History of Jewish Persecution (RI.6.1, RI.6.2; RI.7.1, RI.7.2; RI.8.1, RI.8.2)
- Historical Background – World War II (RI.6.1, RI.6.2; RI.7.1, RI.7.2; RI.8.1, RI.8.2)
- Heroes of the Holocaust (RI.6.1, RI.6.2; RI.7.1, RI.7.2; RI.8.1, RI.8.2)
- Author Biography: Anne Frank (RI.6.1, RI.6.2; RI.7.1, RI.7.2; RI.8.1, RI.8.2)
- Pre-Reading Anticipation/Reaction Guide (SL.6.1; SL.7.1; SL.8.1)
- Vocabulary Lists, with and without definitions (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
- Comprehensive defined list of Allusions and Terminology (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus activities and lessons on:
- Identifying a Character’s Point of View (RL.6.6; RL.7.6; RL.8.6)
- Examining Character Traits (RL.6.2; RL.7.2; RL.8.2)
- Recognizing and Writing About Theme (RL.6.2, RL.6.5; RL.7.2; RL.8.2)
- Character Development (RL.6.3; RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Plot and Structure (RL.6.3, RL.6.5; RL.7.3; RL.8.2)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including focus on:
- Diary Prompts for each Section (W.6.4; W.7.4; W.8.4)
- A Personal Narrative (W.6.3, W.6.3.B; W.7.3, W.7.3.B, W.8.3, W.8.3.B)
- Writing an Informative Text (W.6.7, W.6.8, W.6.9; W.7.7, W.7.8, W.7.9; W.8.7, W.8.8, W.8.9)
- Supporting Your Writing (W.6.1, W.6.1.B, W.6.2, W.6.2.A; W.7.1, W.7.1.A, W.7.2, W.7.2.A; W.8.1, W.8.1.B, W.8.2, W.8.2.A)
- Examining Character Motivations (W.6.7, W.6.9.A; W.7.7, W.7.9.B; W.8.7)
- Narrative Essay (W.6.3, W.6.3.A, W.6.3.B; W.7.3, W.7.3.A, W.7.3.B; W.8.3, W.8.3.A, W.8.3.B)
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, with a focus on:
- Commas and Coordinate Adjectives (L.7.2.A)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.6.4.A, L.6.4.C, L.6.4.D; L.7.4.A, L.7.4.C, L.7.4.D; L.8.4.A, L.8.4.C, L.8.4.D)
- Synonyms, Antonyms, and Analogies (L.6.5.B; L.7.5.B; L.8.5.B)
- Variations from Standard English (L.6.4.A; L.7.4.A; L.8.4.A)
- Word Origins - Etymology (L.6.4.B, L.6.4.C; L.7.4.B, L.7.4.C; L.8.4.B, L.8.4.C)
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Quizzes for each set of chapters
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final Exams: one entirely Multiple Choice, and one higher-level, created to capture the rigor of the Common Core
- Teacher’s Guide, including
- Teacher Agenda
- Notes to the Teacher
- Supplemental Resource List
- Project Rubrics
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
PEARL J. said: This was amazing resource material. It broke down the chapters beautifully and my students understood and grasped the concept of the more serious themes.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.