Number the Stars 124-page unit includes ready-to-go activities, handouts, comprehension and analysis questions, quizzes, tests, and more - aligned to grades 5 and 6 Common Core Standards.
Here's what Dana T. said about this Number the Stars unit: I LOVED this resource. A bit pricey, but it was packed with so many useful items. Worth it!
This Number the Stars novel unit has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is fully aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 5 and 6. Recommended for whole class novel study, but can also be used for small groups, book clubs, literature groups, etc.
Donna H. said: I have taught this novel for over a decade and had gathered vast resources over the years to teach it. I needed a more common core approach to the novel in order for it to beneficial to my students. I know this is a little pricey, but it is money well spent. I reduced the pages and made it into a very manageable workbook for my student to use as we read the novel. My kids loved the novel and I loved the new resources.
This Number the Stars Literature Guide includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions throughout
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Guide for active note-taking during reading
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity: What is Bravery?
- Pre-Reading Activity: Sorting Literature into Genres (RL 5.10; RL 6.9, RL 6.10)
- Informational Focus: Historical Context – Hitler’s Plan, followed by CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.8, RI.5.10; RI.6.1, RI.6.3, RI.6.10)
- Informational Focus: The Star of David followed by CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.10; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.7, RI.6.10)
- Author Biography: Lois Lowry, followed by corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.8; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.8)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with, and one without definitions (L.5.6; L.6.6)
- Allusions and Terminology (L.5.6; L.6.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus activities and lessons, including
- Fact vs. Fiction (RL 5.2; RL 6.2)
- Setting (RL.5.3; RL.6.3)
- Character Compare & Contrast (RL.5.3)
- Figurative Language (RL.5.4, L.5.5.A; RL.6.4, L.6.5.A)
- Using Textual Evidence (RL.5.1; RL.6.1)
- Point of View (RL 5.6, RL.6.6)
- Theme (RL 5.2; RL 6.2)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including
- Stating Your Opinion and Gathering Details (W.5.1.A, W.5.1.B; W.6.1.A, W.6.1.B)
- The Introduction & Organization (W.5.2.A, W.5.2.C: W.6.2.A, W.6.2.C)
- Conclusions and Revisions (W.5.1.D, W.5.10; W.6.1.E, W.6.10)
- Researching New Questions (W.5.2, W.5.2.B, W.5.7, W.5.8; W.6.5, W.6.2.B, W.6.7, W.6.8)
- Drawing Conclusions from Research (W.5.2, W.5.2.B, W.5.7, W.5.8; W.6.2, W.6.2.B, W.6.7)
- Putting Your Research Together (W.5.2, W.5.2A, W.5.2B, W.5.7, W.5.8, W.5.10; W.6.2, W.6.2.B, W.6.7, W.6.10).
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including
- Commas (L.5.2.A-C; L 6.2)
- The Function of Conjunctions (L.5.1.A, L.5.1.E)
- Pronouns (L.6.1A-C)
- Perfect Tense (L.5.1.B)
- Misused Verbs – Lay and Lie (L 5.1D)
- Vocabulary Acquisition and Use (L.5.4.A-C; L.6.4.A-C)
- Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzles
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes
- Two Final Test versions - one multiple choice
- List of Post-Reading and Alternative Assessment Ideas
- List of various Essay and Writing prompts and ideas
- Teacher Guide with:
- Teacher Agenda
- Project Rubric
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for this Literature Guide to Grades 5 and 6 CCSS
Here's what Catherine L. said: I just started teaching sixth grade and I was nervous that I wouldn't teach reading well enough. This guide is wonderful and couldn't be more thorough. Very helpful.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.