SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Touching Spirit Bear. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Touching Spirit Bear complete 224-page teaching guide for Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen is aligned to the Common Core Standards for grades 7-8. This guide includes comprehensive study of the novel, and covers many standards through in-depth reading and analysis of the novel, and leaves students with a true appreciation for the themes of the book, as well as a grasp of the many skills this guide addresses.
Here's what KSR Creations said: There is so much in this resource. I don't usually splurge on the larger purchases, but this was totally worth it. There are lessons on grammar and literary elements using the novel as a teaching source. The nonfiction articles with comprehension questions were interesting and provided great background information for the students. Inferencing and higher level thinking questions are also included. I really like the way the activities required students to support their answers with evidence from the text, and also that skills were practiced multiple times throughout the novel. I would highly recommend this a resource if your use Touching Spirit Bear in your classroom.
Teaching with Simply Novel's Touching Spirit Bear complete unit gives the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself.
Stacey L. said: Excellent product; I have already started using the content and my students LOVE it! Thanks! ***EDIT: I am almost done with this unit, and this is BY FAR one of the best products I have purchased on TPT. Engaging lessons, integrated all sorts of different standards (figurative language, etc), and the kids have loved the activities, articles, etc included. If you need an excellent unit, with more than enough material...that is ready to go, this is it! LOVE!!!
This Complete Guide for Touching Spirit Bear includes:
- Pre-Reading Activity: Anticipation/Discussion Questions
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions
- Essay and Writing Ideas
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Post-Reading Alternative Assessment Ideas
- Class Circle Meeting, Process, Scenarios, and Individual Reflection
- Vocabulary Lists: with and without definitions (L.7.6; L.8.6)
- Glossary of Allusions, Terminology, and Expressions from the story (L.7.6; L.8.6; RL.8.4)
CCSS Reading: Informational Texts articles and corresponding questions on:
- Genre – Realistic Fiction (RI.7.1; RI.8.1)
- The Tlingit People of Alaska and Canada (RI.7.1, RI.7.4, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3, RI.8.4, RI.8.5, RI.8.6)
- The History of the Juvenile Court System (RI.7.1, RI.7.4, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3, RI.8.4)
- The History, Climate, and Geography of Alaska (RI.7.1, RI.7.4, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3)
- Dealing with Anger (RI.7.1, RI.7.2, RI.7.3, RI.7.4, RI.7.5, RI.7.6; RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3)
- The Real Spirit Bears (RI.7.1, RI.7.2, RI.7.3, RI.7.4, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3, RI.8.4)
- Comparing and Contrasting Informational Texts (RI.7.1, RI.7.2, RI.7.3, RI.7.4, RI.7.5, RI.7.6, RI.7.8, RI.7.9; RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3, RI.8.4, RI.8.5, RI.8.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus Lessons on
- Figurative Language (RL.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.5.A; RL.8.4, L.8.5, L.8.5.C)
- Character Development (RL.7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Point of View (RL.7.6; RL.8.3, RL.8.6)
- Character Traits (RL.7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Analyzing and Comparing Poetry (RL.7.3, RL.7.4, L.7.5; RL.8.2, RL.8.3, RL.8.4, RL.8.5, RL.8.9)
- Theme (RL 7.1, RL.7.2, RL.7.5; RL.8.2, RL.8.3, RL.8.5)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including those on
- Newspaper Article (W.7.3, W.7.4, W.7.5, W.7.9, W.7.10; W.8.3, W.8.4, W.8.5, W.8.9, W.8.10;
- Organizing a Compare/Contrast Essay (W.7.2, W.7.4, W.7.5, W.7.9, W.7.10; W.8.2, W.8.4, W.8.5, W.8.9, W.8.10
- Cole’s Journal (W.7.3, W.7.4, W.7.5, W.7.9, W.7.10; W.8.3, W.8.4, W.8.5, W.8.9, W.8.10;
- Point of View (W.7.4, W.7.5; W.8.4, W.8.5)
- Creating an Outline (W.7.4, W.7.5; W.8.4, W.8.5)
- Meditation Research (W.7.4, W.7.5, W.7.6, W.7.10; W.8.4, W.8.5, W.8.6, W.8.10)
- How to Cite Sources (W.7.6; W.8.6)
- Argumentative Writing (W.7.1; W.8.1)
- Informative Paper (W.7.2; W.8.2)
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including those on
- The Dash, Hyphen, and Ellipsis (L.7.1; L.8.2, L.8.2.A)
- The Ellipsis (L.7.1; L.8.2, L.8.2.B)
- Denotation/Connotation (RL.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.5.A; RL.8.4, L.8.5, L.8.5.C)
- Unraveling Word Meanings (L.7.4.B, L.7.4.C; L.8.4.A, L.8.4.B, L.8.4.C)
- Active vs. Passive Voice in Writing (L.7.3; L.8.3, L.8.3.A)
- Figurative Language (RL.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.5.A; RL.8.4, L.8.5, L.8.5.A)
- Verbals (L.7.1; L.8.1, L.8.1.B, L.8.1.D)
- Reading Quizzes every few chapters
- Vocabulary Quizzes every few chapters
- Two Final Tests - one entirely multiple choice
- Teacher's Guide, including a sample agenda and summary of the novel
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
- Complete Answer Key
Jacque McLain said: This resource is amazing! So many different options available for each section of the novel. I love the background and prereading activities introducing students to the Tlingit tribe, spirit bears, and the author. So many of my students liked this book and asked if he had any other similar survival type novels they could read. Thank you for the work put into this!!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.