To Kill a Mockingbird 159-page Literature Guide contains student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and much more, written with time-tested best practices in mind, and aligned with the Common Core State Standards and NCTE/IRA National ELA Standards for grades 9-11.
Here's what Shannannagans - Decor and More said about this To Kill a Mockingbird unit: This was a lifesaver this year as I taught TKaM. I loved being able to use this in my classroom. The resources are organized, connect to the reading, easy to follow, and has EVERYTHING you need to teach the novel. Worth every penny!
This To Kill a Mockingbird Literature Guide has the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself! Your students will walk away with a love, enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing.
Theresa Menendez said: This unit has been a life saver as I am teaching two novels to individualize instruction in my middle school classroom. From the historical articles and background information to the varied literary analysis in each chapter section, I am grateful! Thank you.
This To Kill a Mockingbird Literature Guide includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Project Ideas and Activities (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, W.9-10.6, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.9; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, W.11-12.6, W.11-12.7, W.11-12.9)
- Elements of Fiction: Literary Terms to Know
- Author Biography: Harper Lee with Comprehension Check questions
- Informational Focus articles with Comprehension Check questions on
- The Great Depression (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1)
- Plessy versus Ferguson (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1)
- Jim Crow Laws (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1)
- True Stories of Similar Trials (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1)
- Glossary of over 200 Allusions and Terms from the novel (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- Glossary of over 200 Idioms and Expressions from the novel (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary Lists with and without definitions (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity to introduce the themes from the novel (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.5)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Charts for active reading, helping students keep track of questions about the novel, connections made throughout the novel, notes, summary, predictions, and reflections (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2)
- Comprehension and Analysis questions for each set of chapters (Covers numerous and varied CCSS ELA Standards)
CCSS Reading: Literature Standards activities, including
- Elements of Plot (RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.3)
- Exposition (RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Dialect and Slang (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Characterization (RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.3)
- Setting (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Foreshadowing (RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.5)
- Figurative Language (RL.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4)
- Analyzing Poetry by Langston Hughes (RL.9-10.7; RL.11-12.6)
- Courtroom Terminology and the Judicial System (RL.9-10.4; RI.9-10.3, RI.9-10.4, RI.9-10.6; RL.11-12.4, RI.11-12.3, RI.11-12.4)
CCSS Language Standards activities, including
- Connotation and Denotation (L.9-10.5.B, RL.9-10.4; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.5.B, RL.11-12.4)
- Base Words (L.9-10.4.D; L.11-12.4.C)
- Root Words (L.9-10.4.D; L.11-12.4.C)
- Affixes (L.9-10.4.B, L.9-10.4.D, L.11-12.4.B, L.11-12.4.D)
- Context Clues (L.9-10.4.A: L.11-12.4.A)
- Reading and Vocabulary Quizzes for each set of chapters
- Two Final Exams: one all Multiple Choice, one Mixed Formats including Constructed Response
- List of Post-Reading Project Ideas and Activities (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, W.9-10.6, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.9; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, W.11-12.6, W.11-12.7, W.11-12.9)
- List of Essay Prompts and Creative Writing Projects (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, W.9-10.6, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.9, W.9-10.10; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, W.11-12.6, W.11-12.7, W.11-12.9)
- Teacher's Guide, including
- Sample Agenda
- Notes to the Teacher
- Summary of the Novel by chapter
- Project and Literary Analysis Rubrics
- Complete Answer Key
Haley M. said: This was amazing - didn't get to use every piece included, because there is a lot (which I LOVED), but the comprehension questions/quizzes/character matching was amazing. The extra grammar/skill set practice was awesome, as well!
Drill the Skill said: Hands down probably my best purchase on TPT as Speech Language Pathologist! I can work every middle school goal using literature and this packet! Thank you!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.