This 136-page Common Core Aligned Literature Guide for Christopher Paul Curtis's The Watsons Go To Birmingham - 1963 truly has everything you need - ready-to-go, and fully aligned!
Here's what Christina M. said: Wonderful unit! I'm using it with my students right now. The activities are very helpful! I love the note-taking sheet! Thanks for the great product!
Helen B. said: This is hands down one of the best novel studies for Watson's on the web. It's comprehensive, creative, follows the standards, and goes above and beyond what any other novel study does. I love this product.
Includes (specific Common Core standard addressed in parentheses):
- Author Biography on author Christopher Paul Curtis (RI.5.1, RI.5.7; RI.6.1)
- Historical Context articles and corresponding reading questions on African-American Life in the South in the 1960s, Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, Racial Violence in the South (RI.5.1, RI.5.3, RI.5.4; RI.6.1, RI.6.4)
- Expository Article on Dealing with Trauma, Grief, and Loss (RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.4; RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.4)
- Thematic activity on Elements of Racism and Prejudice
- List of Allusions and Terms - defined (RL.5.4; RL.6.4)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Graphic Organizers (W.5.4, W.5.9.A; W.6.4, W.6.4)
- Comprehension Check Depth of Knowledge Questions for each chapter (multiple standards addressed)
- Literature Standards Focus activities on:
- Point of View (RL.5.1, RL.5.6; RL.6.1, RL.6.6)
- Using Quotations and Drawing Inferences (RL.5.1, L.5.2.D; RL.6.1)
- Character Interactions (RL.5.1, RL.5.2, RL.5.3; RL.6.1, RL.6.2, RL.6.3)
- Figurative Language (RL.5.4, L.5.5, L.5.5.A; RL.6.4, L.6.5, 6.5.A)
- Theme (RL.5.1, RL.5.2; RL.6.1, RL.6.2)
- Story Structure (RL.5.1, RL.5.3, RL.5.5; RL.6.1, RL.6.3, RL.6.5)
Vanessa R. said: Incredible packet! I didn't mind paying the extra because it would have taken me FOREVER to create this! THANK YOU!!!!
- Language Standards Focus activities on:
- Dialect (L.5.3, L.5.3.B; L.6.1.E, L.6.4.A)
- Verb Tense and Agreement (L.5.1, L.5.1.B, L.5.1.C, L.5.1.D; L.6.1)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.5.4, L.5.4.A, L.5.4.C, L.5.5; L.6.4, L.6.4.A, L.6.4.B, L.6.4.C)
- Spelling, Punctuation, and Capitalization (L.5.1, L.5.2; L.6.1, L.6.2)
- Synonyms and Antonyms (L.5.5, L.5.5.C; L.6.5, L.6.5.B)
- Identifying Parts of Speech (L.5.1, L.5.1.A; L.6.1)
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Two Final Test Versions (one of which is entirely multiple choice)
- Pre-Reading Activities and Ideas List
- Post-Reading Activities and Ideas List
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Writing Rubric
- Sample Agenda and Teacher Notes
- Summary of the Novel
- Complete Answer Key
Kelly B. said: Great resource! My kids are loving this novel study! You get a lot of material for the price. Love the additional articles and activities that accompany the novel.