SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for The Outsiders. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 113-page Literature Guide for teaching The Outsiders includes activities, comprehension and analysis questions, lessons, quizzes, tests, resources, and more.
Here's what Jen Anderson said about this The Outsiders unit: This was a very helpful resource for my students during our novel study of "The Outsiders." It was very easy to adapt and differentiate where needed and my students were engaged throughout. It also contains a lot of different materials that cover different concepts. Great resource!
This The Outsiders unit has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 7 - 8.
This The Outsiders Literature Guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
- Post-Reading Extension Activities and Alternative Assessment
- Essay and Creative Writing Ideas List
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on Understanding and Dealing with Loss (RI.7.1; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on The Allure of Gangs (RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding activity on Social Cliques and Stereotyping (RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide and Reflection (SL.7.1; SL.8.1)
- Author Biography: S.E. Hinton article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.7.1, RI.7.4; RI.8.1, RI.8.4)
- Active Reading Guide: Note-Taking and Summarizing Chart (RL.7.1, RL.7.2; RL.8.1, RL.8.2)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with definitions and one without (L.7.6; L.8.6)
- List of Allusions and Terminology, Idioms and Expressions, defined (L.7.6; L.8.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus Lessons and Activities:
- Character Development (RL.7.3, RL.8.3)
- Analyzing Poetry (RL.7.4, RL.7.5; RL.8.3, RL.8.4)
- Character Types (RL.7.3; RL.8.3)
- Bildungsroman and Development of Theme (RL.7.2, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Plot and Conflict Development (RL.7.2, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
CCSS Writing Focus Lessons/Activities:
- Keywords and Search Terms (W.7.8, RL 7.2; RL 8.2)
- Discovering Credible Sources (W.7.8; W.8.8)
- Identifying Task, Purpose, and Audience (W.7.4, W.7.5; W.8.4, W.8.5)
- Generating Research Questions (W.7.7; W.8.7)
CCSS Language Focus Lessons/Activities:
- Using Reference Materials to Verify Meanings (L.7.4.C, L.7.4.D; L.8.4.C, L.8.4.D)
- Sentence Combining and Clauses (L.7.1.A, L.7.1.B)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.7.4.A; L.8.4.A)
- Sentence Combining Review (L.7.1.A, L.7.1.B)
- Using Context Clues (L.7.4.A; L.8.4.A)
- Denotation and Connotation (L.7.4.A, L.7.4.C. L.7.5.C; L.8.4.A, L.8.4.C, L.8.5.C)
- Analogies (L.7.5.B; L.8.5.B)
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final Exam Options - One entirely Multiple Choice
- Sample Agenda
- Novel Summary
- Three Different Rubrics
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
Ali T. said: I really like all of the Simply Novel (formerly Secondary Solutions) materials. They are challenging and thorough and worth the money. I think that they are great materials to add to the study of the novel.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.
I really wish there was a way to convert the student activities into Google documents so that I could post them on Classroom and have my students write directly on them. Unless I’m missing something, as it stands, this resource isn’t really made for remote learning because paper copies are required for students to complete. I wish I had known that before I purchased it.