SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for The Giver. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
The Giver by Lois Lowry teaching guide - 152 pages high-level questions, activities, lessons and more has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 6–8. This The Giver Literature Guide is the solution to your lesson planning and CCSS stress!
Here's what The Teacher Reimagined said: I really love this resource! It is excellent in its alignment to the Common Core. The activities that go along with it are not just comprehension questions or even directly about the story - there are standards focus pages that enrich those hard-to-reach anchors. They are challenging and practical. I definitely recommend this!
Teaching with Simply Novel's The Giver complete unit bundle gives the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain a love, enjoyment, and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself!
Bonnie C. said: This was perfect for my 7th Grade ELA class! My students were able to take so much more away from this product. I saw a lot of skills my students started building from this novel study carry over to our other novel studies in the year.
This The Giver Literature Guide includes:
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Reading: Informational Focus articles and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on Genre – Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Dystopia, Euthanasia – A Heated Debate, and Rites of Passage
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide and Reflection
- Reading: Informational Focus Biography on author Lois Lowry, with corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions
- Active Reading Guide: Note-Taking and Summarizing
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes every two or three chapters
- Vocabulary Quizzes every two or three Chapters
- Two Final Tests for differentiation– one entirely multiple choice at the lower level of comprehension (mostly recall), and one at the mid to high level of comprehension and analysis
- Vocabulary Lists: with and without definitions (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
- Comprehensive (defined) list of Allusions and Unique Terminology from the story (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6; RL.8.4)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus Lessons on
- Plot and Structure (RL.6.3, RL.6.5; RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.5)
- Foreshadowing and Prediction (RL.6.1, RL.6.2, RL.6.5; RL 7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.5)
- Point of View (RL.6.6; RL.7.6; RL.8.3, RL.8.6)
- Symbolism (RL.6.4, L.6.5.A; RL.7.4; RL.8.4, RL.8.9)
- Setting and Problem (RL.7.3)
- Visual and Literary Versions of a Novel (RL.6.7; RL.7.7; RL.8.7)
- Imagery (RL.6.4, L.6.5; RL.7.4, L.7.5; RL.8.3, RL.8.4)
- Elements of Style (RL.6.4; RL.7.4, L.7.3.A, RL.8.4, L.8.5)
- Conflict (L.6.1, RL.6.3; RL.7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Theme (RL.6.2; RL.7.2; RL.8.2)
- Character Development (RL.6.1, RL.6.3; RL.7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
- Plot and Theme (Rl.6.2, RL.6.3; RL.7.2, RL.7.3; RL.8.2, RL.8.3)
CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including those on
- Planning a Narrative (W.6.3.A; W.7.3.A; W.8.3.A)
- Beginning Your Narrative (W.6.3.A; W.7.3.A, W.8.3.A)
- Integrating Dialogue in Narrative Writing (W.6.3.B; W.7.3.B; W.8.3.B)
- Narrative Techniques (W.6.3.D; W.7.3.D, W.8.3.D)
- Precise Word Choice W.6.2.D, W.6.3.D; W.7.2.D, W.7.3.D; W.8.2.D, W.8.3.D)
- Character Development (W.6.1, W.6.1.B, W.6.9, W.6.9.A; W.7.1, W.7.1.B, W.7.9, W.7.9.A; W.8.1, W.7.8.B, W.8.9, W.8.9.A)
CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including those on
- Punctuation, Capitalization, Spelling, and Grammar (L.6.2; L.7.2; L.8.2)
- Word Origins – Etymology (L.6.4.B, L.6.4.C; L.7.4.B, L.7.4.C; L.8.4.B, L.8.4.C)
- Identifying Parts of Speech (L.6.1; L.7.1; L.8.1)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.6.4.A; L.7.4.A; L.8.4.A)
- Imagery (RL.6.4, L.6.5; RL.7.4, L.7.5; RL.8.4, L.8.5)
- Verb Tense and Agreement (L.6.1, L.6.1.C; L.7.1; L.8.1.B, L.8.1.D)
- Synonyms and Antonyms (L.7.5.B; L8.5.B)
- Phrases and Clauses (L.7.1.A, L.7.1.C)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.6.4; L.7.4; L.8.4, L.8.4.A)
- Pronouns – Number and Person (L.6.1.C, L.6.1.D)
- Punctuation (L.6.2; L.7.2; L.8.2)
Kylie D. said: Great! I love that includes grammar exercises, vocabulary, reading questions, everything! It is all amazing- it has saved me some leg work. I taught this book last year and only had limited resources at the time. This is a very rigorous and engaging novel study. Thank you!!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.