SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry novel unit includes 152 pages of Common Core State ELA Standards and NCTE/IRA Standards-Based materials, aligned to grades 6-8. Everything you've ever wanted in a unit plan is in this Guide! MORE than enough to choose from in this comprehensive unit, depending upon your desired learning outcomes and the amount of time you have to spend teaching Roll of Thunder!
Here's what Stephanie S. said about this unit: This was an AMAZING resource for our book study!!! I wish I had similar units for the other books that I use in my classroom. Not only did the resource help my students to understand the material, but it also helped to prepare them for state testing without even being aware.
Teaching with Simply Novel's Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry complete unit brings the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself!
This Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Literature Guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Activities, including a specific activity on "What is Equality?"
- Author Biography and questions about author Mildred D. Taylor
- Historical Context activities on African-American Life in the South in the 1930s, The Great Depression and the South, The Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s
- List of Allusions, Terminology and Expressions defined
- Vocabulary List with and without Definitions
- A Map of Character Relationships
- Note-Taking and Summarizing activities for each chapter
- Comprehension Check/Study Guide questions for each chapter
- Reading: Literature and Language Standards-Focus activities on:
- Character Foil
- Protagonist/Antagonist Relationships
- Rising Action and Resolving Tension
- Setting Map
- Climax and Resolution
Ashlyn A. said: This is an incredible product. The quality of the student worksheets is outstanding. The unit is well-organized, easy to follow and implement, and full of helpful background information for teachers. I loved that the unit was abundant with skills: vocabulary, figurative language, informational reading, character analysis, objective summary, synthesis, etc. It is worth the price and came with more than enough for what I needed. It was great to pick and choose from the extensive unit for what worked best for my class at the time.
- Language and Writing activities, focusing on:
- Using Precise Words
- Using Transitions
- The Thesis Statement
- Paragraph Development
- Creating an Introductory Paragraph
- Writing Conclusions
- Sentence Structure and Precise Verbs
- Quizzes for each chapter or set of chapters
- Two final exam versions--one completely multiple choice
- Complete Teacher Guide including:
- Sample Agenda
- Teacher Notes on the Guide and Novel
- Summary of the Novel
- Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment
- Essay/Writing Ideas
- Three Project Rubrics
- Complete Answer Key
Erika Schneider said: This is a phenomenal guide for Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry. The students are asked to think deeply about many issues. The guide provides great background information for students. I loved the in depth information this guide gave students about theme, character foil, and character change. Very very thorough and a fantastic resource.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.