Hatchet by Gary Paulsen complete 147-page Literature Guide which includes student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA as well as the NCTE/IRA National ELA Content Standards in English for grades 5 through 7.
Perfect for student-directed distance learning or homeschooling, however, this product is a PDF only and will need modification for use in Google Classroom.
Designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements, making it perfect for distance learning.
This Hatchet Literature Guide includes:
- A list of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities for use before reading the novel
- Biography on author Gary Paulsen with corresponding questions about the article
- Informational Texts - Real Stories of Survival
- Pre-Reading Activities - Survival Activities
- Anticipation Guide for personal reflection about the themes of the novel before reading
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions
- Defined list of Allusions, Slang, and Terminology
- Note-Taking Field Journal for each section
- Comprehension Check Questions, based upon Bloom's Taxonomy
Here's what The Eggplant Garden said about our Hatchet unit: The most thorough resource I have ever used! I will be back for a copy for Maniac Magee and Island of the Blue Dolphins! :) Thank you!
- Standards-based Literature, Writing, and Language Activities with a focus on:
- Figurative Language and Style
- The Writing Process
- Point of View
- Characters and Plot
- Supporting Quotations
- Plot Events and Themes
- Conflict and Theme
- Character Development
- Remodeling Sentences
- Writing Dialogue
- Concrete Words and Sensory Details
- Setting and Plot Sequence
- Strong Verbs
- Show vs. Tell
Colleen P. said: I wish that I had found these materials a long time ago. I have wasted money on previous units. This one is the best of all. Thank you so much for doing all this work.
- Reading Quizzes Every Few Chapters
- Two Versions of the Final Test - One entirely multiple choice
- Sample Agenda and Teacher Notes
- Novel Summary by Chapter
- Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment
- Essay and Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics and a Response to Literature Rubric for help with grading projects and essays
- Complete Answer Key
Amber B. said: Absolutely loved this! It went along so well with the book! Loved that everything was already done for me and that it was rigorous too!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.