Bridge to Terabithia Literature Guide, 151 fully reproducible, READY-TO-GO pages of student coursework, quizzes, tests, and teacher guides aligned with the grades 4-5 Common Core and NCTE/IRA grade English Language Arts content standards.
Here's what Chris E. said about this guide: This was a very thorough and well done bundle for the book. It had a great variety of activities that assessed a number of different skills and engaged the students. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone looking for a great overview of ideas to use with the text!
This Bridge to Terabithia teaching guide has the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself! Your students will walk away with a love, enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing.
Nikki J. said: I had several resources to pull from when I was teaching this novel last school year, and this is the resource I would go to time and time again. Everything in this unit is very thorough and promotes higher-level thinking.
This Bridge to Terabithia teaching guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities to introduce the context of the novel, including writing prompts and curricular, hands-on projects
- Informational Focus: Historical Context of the Novel - a brief look at the historical aspect of the 1970s, followed by comprehension questions (RI.4.1, RI.4.2, RI.4.4; RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.4)
- Informational Focus: The National Gallery of Art and The Smithsonian - mentioned in the novel, a look at these two national treasures, followed by comprehension questions (RI.4.1, RI.4.4; RI.5.1, RI.5.3, RI.5.4)
- Anticipation Activity on the Qualities of a Friend
- Biography on Author Katherine Paterson, followed by comprehension questions (RI.4.1, RI.4.4; RI.5.1, RI.5.3, RI.5.4)
- List of Vocabulary from the novel (L.4.6; L.5.6)
- List of Vocabulary with definitions (L.4.6; L.5.6)
- List of Allusions and Terminology from the novel
- Active Reading: Note-Taking and Summarizing activity to be used with each chapter during reading
- Chapter Questions - questions given by chapter to help guide and assess comprehension and analysis of the reading
- CCSS Reading: Literature Focus Activities on
- Similes in Prose (RL.4.4, L.4.5.A; RL.5.4, L.5.5.A)
- Details and Examples (RL.4.1; RL.5.1)
- Character Analysis - Inference (RL.4.2, RL.4.3; RL.5.2, RL.5.3)
- Setting Analysis (RL.4.3; RL.5.3)
- Point of View (RL.4.6; RL.5.6)
- The Parts of the Story (RL.4.5; RL 5.5)
- Symbolism (RL.4.4, RL.4.9; RL.5.4)
- CCSS Language Focus Activities on
- Relative Pronouns (L.4.1A; L.5.3A)
- Identifying and Using Active Voice
- Using Quotation Marks (L.4.2B; L.5.2D)
- May I Help You? Modals (L.4.1C, L.5.1)
- Using Hyphens and Dashes
- The Progressive Form of Verbs (L.4.1B, L 5.1)
- Parallel Structure
- Verb Power! (L.5.1C)
- Sentence Structure
- The Way You Talk (L.5.3B)
- Proofreading Practice
- CCSS Writing Focus Activities on
- My Opinion (W.4.1; W.5.1)
- Writing a Narrative (W.4.3, W.4.3.B, SL.4.4; W.5.3, W.5.3.B)
- CCSS Speaking and Listening Focus: Reader's Theater (SL.4.4, SL.4.5, W.4.3.A; SL.5.6, W.5.3A)
- Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzles (2)
- Chapter Quizzes
- Two Final Exams - one entirely Multiple Choice
- Post-Reading Informational Focus on Grief and Loss, followed by comprehension questions (RI.4.1, RI.4.2, RI.4.3, RI.4.4; RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.4)
- Post-Reading Activity: Movie Connection
- Essay and Writing Prompts and Ideas
- Teacher Guide with Sample Agenda, Novel Summary, Project and Writing Rubrics, and complete Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for Grades 4-5
Stephanie N. said: Could not ask for a better bundle, this had absolutely everything you would ever need.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.