This 133-page Because of Winn-Dixie Novel Study Unit and Literature Guide has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 3 and 4. Recommended for whole class novel study, but can also be used for small groups, book clubs, literature groups, etc.
Here's what Melissa E. said:
I REALLY hesitated buying this unit because of the price, especially because so many products claim to be Common Core but are just the same old thing with a Common Core label slapped on. This unit is true Common Core. There are many excellent questions and activities that require high levels of thinking. It's worth the price.
This Because of Winn-Dixie Literature Guide has the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will walk away with a love, enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing.
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on Grief and Loss
- Pre-Reading Activity on Visual Discovery, using Google Art Project and culminating in a writing activity and discussion about the symbiotic relationship between humans and dogs (covers numerous and varied CCSS standards)
- Reading: Informational Focus Biography on author Kate DiCamillo, followed by corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions
- Vocabulary Lists: one list with, and one list without definitions for varied uses
- Comprehensive defined list of Allusions, Unique Terminology, Sayings, and Slang from the story
- Active Reading Double Entry Log for active reading note-taking, including summarizing the plot, asking questions, and making connections to the students' own lives
- Chapter Questions focusing on numerous and varied Reading: Literature CCSS
Chapter-by-Chapter CCSS Reading: Literature Focus activities and lessons, including (CCSS standards taught in each activity is listed in parenthesis)
- Point of View (RL.3.6; RL.4.6)
- Character Analysis (RL.3.3; RL.4.3)
- Setting (RL.4.3)
- Supporting Characters (RL.3.3; RL.4.3)
- Theme (RL.3.2; RL.4.2)
- Compare & Contrast with Gus Bowles (RL.3.5, RL.3.6; RL.4.6, RL.4.9)
- Inference and Character Changes (RL.3.1, RL.3.3; RL.4.1, RL.4.3)
- Inference and Conflict (RL.3.1, RL.3.3; RL.4.1, RL.4.3)
- Elements of Plot (RL.3.5; RL.4.5)
Mary T. said: This is the MOST amazing guide I've EVER used. I've been using this in my classroom while reading Because of Winn Dixie. It is rigorous, deep, and causes my 4th grade students to have to think! I don't buy anything that is this expensive, but it was well worth it.
Chapter-by-Chapter CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including
- Concrete Words and Sensory Details (W.4.3.D)
- Research Project (helping dogs through thunderstorms) (W.3.6; W.3.7, W.3.8; W.4.6, W.4.7, W.4.8)
- Writing Compare and Contrast (RI.3.1, RI.3.3, RI.3.6, W.3.6; RI.4.1, RI.4.3, RI.4.6, W.4.9)
- Writing Narratives (W.3.3; W.4.3)
- Theme (RL.3.2, W.3.2; RL.4.2, W.4.9)
Chapter-by-Chapter CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including
- Quotations (L.3.2.C)
- Capitalization (L.3.2.A; L.4.2.A)
- Homophones (L.3.2.F)
- Run-Ons and Fragments (L.3.1.H; L.4.1.F)
- Reading Quizzes
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final Test options for differentiation:
- Final Test #1: 25 questions at mid- and high-level questioning, mid- and high-level rigor
- Final Test #2: 25 questions, completely Multiple Choice at low-level of questioning and low-level rigor
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Teacher Agenda, including notes about this Guide
- Summary of the Book
- Rubric for assessing Narrative Writing
- General Writing Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for this Literature Guide to Grades 3 and 4 CCSS
Carey W. said: Although this unit was expensive, I did find it to be extremely thorough and very useful for my students. I considered it to be an investment and hope to be able to use it for years to come.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.