Among the Hidden novel unit - 125 pages of student coursework, activities, quizzes, tests, and more aligned with the Common Core State Standards for ELA for grades 6-8. MORE than enough to choose from in this comprehensive unit, depending upon your desired learning outcomes and the amount of time you have to spend teaching Among the Hidden!
Here's what Leighann S. said: ...Very nicely put together and offers a HUGE range of concepts covered. I pick and choose what I need and what I feel I can get through, but it's great having that option. Thank you.
Camp in with the Class said: What a great resource to accompany a great book! It was awesome to have some deep questions and activities to pair with our reading.
Teaching with Simply Novel's Among the Hidden complete unit brings the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself!
This Among the Hidden Literature Guide includes:
- A list of 12 journal topics for use throughout the reading (numerous standards addressed)
- A list of 9 CCSS-Based Pre-Reading ideas and activities for use before reading Among the Hidden (numerous standards addressed)
- Informational Biography on author Margaret Peterson Haddix with corresponding questions about the article (RI.6.1, RI.6.2, RI.6.3, RI.6.6; RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide introducing the themes of Among the Hidden (SL.6.1,SL.6.3, SL.6.4, SL.6.6; SL.7.1, SL.7.3, SL.7.4, SL.7.6; SL.8.1, SL.3, SL.8.4)
- Notes and graphic organizer on Elements of the Novel (RL.6.10; RL.7.10; RL.8.10)
- Vocabulary Lists With and Without Definitions (RL.6.4, L.6.4, L.6.6; RL.7.4, L.7.6; RL.8.4, L.8.6)
- Defined list of Idioms and Expressions (RL.6.4, L.6.4, L.6.6; RL.7.4, L.7.6; RL.8.4, L.8.6)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Chart for each section (numerous standards addressed)
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions (numerous standards addressed)
Specific CCSS: Literature Focus Activities on
- Tone and Mood (RL.6.1, RL.6.4, RL.6.5; RL.7.1, RL.7.2, RL.7.3, RL.7.4; RL.8.1, RL.8.4)
- Writer's Purpose (RL.6.1, RL.6.3, RL.6.5; RL.7.4, L.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.6; RL.8.1, RL.8.5)
- Narrator and Point of View (RL.6.1, RL.6.6; RL.7.1, RL.7.2, RL.7.3, RL.7.6; RL.8.1, RL.8.3, RL.8.6)
- Setting (RL.6.1, RL.6.5; RL.7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.1, RL.8.3)
- Characterization (RL.6.1, RL.6.3; RL.7.1, RL.7.3, RL.7.6; RL.8.1, RL.8.2)
- Inference (RL.6.1, RL.6.5; RL.7.1, RL.7.3, RL.7.6; RL.8.1)
- Character Types (RL.6.1, RL.6.3; RL.7.1, RL.7.3, RL.7.6; RL.8.1, RL.8.3)
- Theme (RL.6.1, RL.6.2, RL.6.3, RL.6.5; RL.7.1, RL.7.2, RL.7.3; RL.8.1, RL.8.2)
- Elements of Plot and Conflict (RL.6.1, RL.6.3, RL.6.5; RL.7.1, RL.7.2, RL.7.3; RL.8.1, RL.5)
Specific CCSS: Language and Writing Lessons and Activities on
- Vocabulary in Context (RL.6.4, L.6.4, L.6.5, L.6.6; RL.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.5, L.7.6; L.8.4, L.5)
- Analogies (L.6.4, L.6.5; L.7.4, L.7.5; L.8.5)
- Word Relationships (L.6.4, L.6.5, L.6.6; L.7.4, L.7.5, L.7.6; L.8.5)
- Definitions- Using the Dictionary (L.6.4, L.6.6; L.7.4, L.7.6; L.8.4)
- Supporting Quotations (RL.6.1, RL.6.5, W.6.1, W.6.9, W.6.10; RL.7.1, W.7.9, W.7.10; RL.8.1, W.8.9, W.8.10)
- Sentence Combining (W.6.4, W.6.9, W.6.10; W.7.4, W.7.5; W.8.5)
- Dangling Modifiers (L.6.1, L.6.3; W.7.1, L.7.3; L.8.3)
- Interpreting Figurative Meanings (RL.6.4, L.6.5; RL.7.4, L.7.5; RL.8.4, L.8.5)
- Reading Quizzes Every Few Chapters
- Two Versions of the Final Test - One entirely multiple choice
- Novel Summary by Chapter
- Post-Reading and Essay/Writing Activities and Ideas (numerous standards addressed)
- Two Project Rubrics and a Response to Literature Rubric for help with grading projects and essays
- Teacher Notes, Resources, and Sample Agenda
- Complete Answer Key
Literacy Addict said: Love the language and literature focus along with the chapter quizzes. Format is incredibly easy to follow for teacher, but challenging for students (in a good way). Worth every penny! I will be buying our next novel unit from Simply Novel - Secondary Solutions!