SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Freak the Mighty. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick Novel Teaching Guide - 118 pages, written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and aligned to the Common Core Standards for grades 6 - 8. Everything you've ever wanted in a unit plan is in this Guide! MORE than enough to pick and choose from in this comprehensive unit, depending upon your desired learning outcomes and the amount of time you have to spend teaching Freak the Mighty.
Here's what Valasta S. said: Great unit study that covers multiple topics. It's not the same old study questions, vocabulary, unit tests. It uses different core topics to have the students apply to the novel. I love how it shows the students how they will use the skills they learned in another area of learning.
Shannon S. said: Good questions that get the kids thinking, as well as providing basic comprehension checks. Easy to pick and choose activities/projects that meet the needs of the class.
Teaching with Simply Novel's Freak the Mighty complete unit allows the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself.
This Freak the Mighty Literature Guide includes:
- Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities List
- List of Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- List of Essay and Writing Prompts
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on Morquio Syndrome (RI.6.1, RI.6.7; RI.7.1; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Reading: Informational Focus article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions on The Legend of King Arthur (RI.6.1, RI.6.5, RI.6.7; RI.7.1, RI.7.5; RI.8.1, RI.8.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide and Reflection (SL.6.1; SL.7.1; SL.8.1)
- Author Biography: Rodman Philbrick article and corresponding CCSS-aligned Comprehension Check questions (RI.6.1, RI.6.4, RI.6.7; RI.7.1, RI.7.4; RI.8.1, RI.8.4)
- Active Reading Guide: Note-Taking and Summarizing Chart (RL.6.1, RL.6.2; RL.7.1, RL.7.2; RL.8.1, RL.8.2)
- Vocabulary Lists: one with definitions and one without (L.6.6; L.7.6; L.8.6)
CCSS Reading: Literature Focus Lessons and Activities on:
- Figurative Language (RL.6.4, L.6.5; RL.7.4, L.7.5; RL.8.4; L.8.5)
- Character Development (RL.6.3; RL.7.3, RL.8.3)
- Character Inference (RL.6.1; RL.7.1, RL.7.3; RL.8.1, 8.3)
- Setting and Mood (Rl.7.3; RL.8.2)
- Connotation and Denotation (RL.6.4; RL 7.4;RL.8.4)
- Theme (RL.6.2; RL.7.2; RL.8.2)
- Comparing and Contrasting – Movie Versus Book (RL.6.7;RL.7.7; RL.8.7)
CCSS Writing Focus Lessons and Activities on
- Modern Chivalry – Argument and Claims (W.6.1; W.7.1; W.8.1)
- Narrative Technique – Description (W.6.3.B, W.6.3.D; W.7.3.B, W.7.3.D: W.8.3.B, W.8.3.D)
- Sensory Details in Narrative Writing (W.6.3.D; W.7.3.D: W.8.3.D)
- Writing in a Formal Style (W.6.1.D, W.6.2.E; W.7.1.D, W.7.2.E; W.8.1.D, W.8.2.E)
- Persuasive Speech – Morquio Syndrome (W.6.1, W.6.7; W.7.1, W.7.7; W.8.1, W.8.7)
CCSS Language Focus Lessons and Activities on:
- Vocabulary in Context (L.6.4, L.6.4.A, L.6.4.D; L.7.4, L.7.4.A, L.7.4.D; L.8.4, L.8.4.A, L.8.4.D)
- Etymology and Using a Dictionary (L.6.4, L.6.4.B, L.6.4.C; L.7.4, L.7.4.B, L.7.4.C; L.8.4, L.8.4.B, L.8.4.C)
- Who, Whom, Whose (L.6.1.A)
- Intensive Pronouns (L.6.1.B)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.6.4.A; L.7.4.A; L.8.4.A)
- Just for Fun! Final Vocabulary Review Crossword Puzzle
- Reading Quizzes
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final exam versions - one at the recall/comprehension level, and one for deeper analysis/evaluation of text
- •Teacher Guide, including
- Sample Agenda
- Novel SummaryProject Rubric
- Sample Response to Literature Rubric
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation Page
SuAnn S. said: This unit is thorough, beautifully written, and deeply rigorous. It will save me many hours of prep time - thanks for such a great product!
Andersons ELA resources (TpT Seller) said: Fantastic resource! I have used this the past two years with my students. Great resources. High interest for the students. I absolutely love this product.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.